Go Back   S. Thomas' College Old Boys' Forum > Royal Thomian Match

Royal Thomian Match Stories and memories of the greatest match ever

Old 29-03-10, 01:39 PM
Charter Member

Default Divine power that my team is still alive - Dr. Lareef Idroos

Divine power that my team is still alive - Dr. Lareef Idroos
Saturday, 20 March 2010 00:00
By Bernie Wijesekara

All good thing done for the right reasons are beautiful. The Royal-Thomian traditional encounter has maintained the true values and the spirit of the game since its inception. This year’s Battle of the Blues (2010) is special for those who participated the 1960 contest- coinciding with their 50th Golden Jubilee. Royal was led by that stylish lefthander Michael Dias at present an outstanding golfer. While the Thomians were skippered by Dr. Lareef Idroos. To mark the occasion they had a right royal gala dinner and a get-together with the past and the present stalwarts. Among those invited were the Old Thominans in Bertie Wijesinghe, Ian Pieris and Mike Tissera who played a decisive role to uplift the image of Sri Lanka cricket at home and away.
Dr. Idroos now domiciled in the United States has done proud for his family, school and the country on and off the field. A man of few words and soft as a petal has the grit and determination to make the slippery climb. He and Mano Ponniah played for Sri Lanka in that epoch making Sri Lanka cricket tour to India under Mike Tissera.
For the first time they defeated a strong Indian team led by the Nawab of Pataudi in the Ahamadabad test in 1964, since then Sri Lanka has still to beat India, in India. Another player in the 1960 team BWR Thomas represented Sri Lanka in Pakistan. Royal had Daya Sahabandu, the wily left-arm dual purpose bower who too excelled. At present Dr. Idroos
MD and Assistant Professor UCLA School of Medi Serving the suffering humanity “Gods gift is life”.
What you do with it is your ‘Gift to God’ Insha Allah. Dr. Idroos was interviewed on March 15, at the Cinnamon Grand prior to his departure. The greatest thing by meeting two of them Keith Labrooy and Maurice after 50 years. Apparently may be due to Divine power my entire 11team-mates who played in 1960 under me are alive. All were there to mark the occasion watching the match from the Mustang Tent end the get-together at the RCGC clubhouse. Five from Australia, in Keith Labrooy, Maurice Fairweather, BWR Thomas M. La D’Silva (putt shot fame), P.Wandurugala, USA-ML Idroos, S.P. Wijesinha and the rest from home Michael Sproule, Gamini Marapona, C.E.M. Ponniah and R.M. Fernando. Dr. Idroos said that the spirit of the Royal - Thomian will never fade away but will flourish and grow for the future generations to maintain its dignity. Apparently time has changed in every walk of life you may be right. Today this democratic game has spread its wings as a global sport.
Any memorable incident in the 1960 ‘‘Battle of the Blues’. Yes. Lalith Senanayake was brilliantly stumped off S.P. Wijesinha, by keeper Gamini Marapone. The umpire ruled him out Lalith was making the slow trot back. The keeper advised me to recall the batsman and revoke the umpire’s decision as he whipped the bails without the ball (on the ground). No cheating, the true spirit of the Royal-Thomian and a moral lesson to them. I am living in the States but have not forgotten my motherland nor my parents, the school which moulded me and the ones who assisted me to make the slippery climb. The roots are embedded here. God’s gift to you is life, what you do with it your Gift to God. (Insha Allah)
I agree service to humanity in their hour of need from whatever corner.
Royal skipper (1960). Michael Dias said it was a great happening to celebrate our Golden Jubilee sandwiched with the 131 Royal - Thomian this too at the picturesque RCGE clubhouse. Nine of my teammates were there Lalith Senanayake not in the best of health and Wimalaratne who has crossed the great divide. The spirit of the game what is matters in the end. Maurice Fairweather bowled me but to date we continue our friendship. All forgotten and camaraderie prevails until my last breath. I will not forget the 1960 match was a noble game played for the right reasons said Dias. The past is forgotten, the present is known and the future is unknown. Yes, times have changed. There is no guarantee in any walk to life. Do the right thing at the right time concluded Dias.

Attached is a photograph (of the Thomian team) taken on 12 March 2010, when members of the Thomian and Royal first eleven cricket team of 1960 met in Colombo to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Royal Thomian cricket match that was played in March 1960.

The captains in 1960 were Lareef Idroos for S.Thomas’ College and Michael Dias for Royal College.

20 of the 22 team members met in Colombo (11 Thomians and 9 Royalists),

The final scores of the match played in 1960 are provided below:

Royal College

First Innings: 157

Second Innings: 194 for 5 (declared)

S.Thomas’ College

First Innings: 131

Second Innings: 138 for 6

Result – Draw

The following link also provides access to scores of past encounters, statistics, souvenir articles and newspaper reports/photographs of the 131st encounter that was held last week.

http://www.stcpta.org/royalthomian/HTML/index.htm (control + click)

ESTO PERPETUA
Old 10-04-10, 07:06 PM
Charter Member

Default 1960 Cricket team.

CRICKET TEAM

For Your Records

When you open the 1960 photo and have viewed it - click on photo and the 2010 photo appears.

No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 8.5.437 / Virus Database: 271.1.1/2769 - Release Date: 03/25/10 20:50:00

STC Cricket Team 1960.pps
710K View as HTML Download

STC Cricket Team 1960.pps
710K View as HTML Download

Last edited by sriyanjay; 10-04-10 at 07:09 PM.
Old 01-04-11, 07:52 PM
Charter Member

Default Royal Thomian 1960.