Go Back   S. Thomas' College Old Boys' Forum > STC Projects

STC Projects New projects at STC

Old 31-01-14, 12:18 PM
Charter Member

Default STC LC Essay Competition

Date: Fri, Jan 31, 2014 at 12:25 PM
Subject: Re: STC LC Essay Competition

Dear All
I met up with the Warden, Indra, at the end of November and had an interesting and productive discussion. An update om matters discussed is given below in the section "Warden meeting:matters arising". I have met him again thereafter and have also been communicating via e-mail.
Re the essay competition, I would be grateful for your feedback. We now have 60 essay topics which the Warden has approved. We have also agreed that the competition will be for Grades 5,8 and 11 and not on the entire school basis. As mentioned below, the maximum candidates in total would be 450.
The Warden is of the opinion that there should be a "winner" and "runner up" with the winner receiving the prize of 1 year school fees. We need to check how that fits in within our Constitution.
Re the outstanding matters - length of essay for each grade, Prizes, marking of papers, sponsorship etc - your input would be greatly appreciated.
Trust you are all keeping well.
Kind Regards
Rohan
Rohan Karunaratne
Phone:
UK: 07881651697(Mobile)
Sri Lanka: 0777188780 (Mobile)

Warden meeting: Matters arising:

1. Equipment -

a. Please ensure that all Equipment sent has servicing facilities in SL. VM to action with members

b. Please refrain fron sending "old" equipment - later models are available and in use at STC. VM to action with members

2. Essay Competition-
a. To be conducted in end November/first week December
b. 3 Categories of Students - Grade 5, Grade 8, Grade 11
c. Current 57 topics to be increased to 60 if possible - 20 topics per grade. Topics to be broken to suit the 3 categories - VM to action with members & Committee
d. Number of possible students for each grade - roughly 170, 140, 140
e. Panel of suitable "old boys" to mark papers. My view is that we need a Panel of about 6-9 old boys. VM to action with members
f. Panel Members to Short list 5 in each category after which the Panel collectively to decide on eventual winner/runner up for each category
g. Prizes - VM to action with members
h. Sponsorship - VM to action with members
i. All above action points to be resolved within the next 2 weeks.

3. Hardship Fund - A similar Fund exists at STC with a very competent system of allocation. We can send Funds to the Bursar to add to this Fund instead of setting up a new Fund.

4. Indra has agreed to be a signatory to the Bank Account - under the designation of Warden, STC, Mt Lavinia. Not on a personal capacity. Bank Account could be opened with Commercial Bank. STC also use them as one of their Bankers.

I guess I have covered everything. Please update me.

Kind Regards
Rohan

Sent: Wednesday, 20 March 2013, 13:16
Subject: Re: STC LC Essay Competition

Dear All

TM, thanks for your input. I agree with some of the contents. However, we have to look at the length of the essay. 1000 words is a hell of a lot for a 7 or 8 year old boy!

I have a long chat with Sriyan this morning. We have agreed on the following:

1. The Competition to be among the Juniors for a start ( from the correspondence I have seen, it appears this is what the Warden himself wants). Hence,

a. 7-8 year olds - 100 words
b. 9-10 year olds - 150 words
c. 11-12 year olds - 200 words

Period allowed: 1 hour.

Let's kick off with that initially and then extend to the Senior age groups at a later stage.

2. 15 essay topics provided for each group

3. Each topic to be sponsored. The Sponsor to take up a title for Rs 25k.

4. There are no retired teachers capable of "marking" the papers - except -perhaps- Mr Mandawala. Hence, it might be prudent to get someone like Arun Dias Banda (or similar) to carry out this task.

5. Warden to coordinate with the current English teachers to promote this amongst the students.

6. Essay titles with guidance notes to be actioned if the above is acceptable to all.

Finally - my view is that we should try to keep this project simple to get it off the ground. Else, it will never materialise.

Thank you.

Kind Regards
Rohan
Rohan Karunaratne
Phone:
Old 31-01-14, 12:34 PM
Charter Member

Default STC LC Essay Competition

Subject: Re: STCLC Essay Competition
Date: Tuesday, 19 March, 2013, 20:10

Dear All (to whom it may concern!)
Please be kind enough to give due consideration to my email attachment marked "STC Essay Competition" and react in response at your leisure! Many thanks.
With Best Regards,
T.M,

On 17 March 2013 11:12, R KARUNARATNE <rohanromo@btinternet.com> wrote

I refer to my mail below with the attachment (attached again herewith). I have had some feedback from Deepal Leca but nothing from the others. I would be most grateful if you could provide some feedback.

I also suggest - in agreement with the response from Deepal - that :

1. The Competition is in English

2. As a start we look at the Upper, Middle and Lower Schools. This might have to be modified at a later stage if we think that younger students in any one of these three school categories are at a disadvantage. But that is for later!

3. What I would really require from you at this stage is: Provide me a list of 5 Essay topics for each school Category along with a brief guidance note for each topic - just a brief paragraph would suffice. The aim is to have a total of 50 essay topics and we find a sponsor for each topic. The sponsor will pay Rs25k for each topic. If a topic is not taken up, that sponsorship money will be donated to the college students hardship fund.

I trust you could assist in this simple matter within the next 3-4 days.

Many thanks to all of you.

Kind Regards
Rohan

Rohan Karunaratne
Phone:

Subject: Re: STCLC Essay Competition
Date: Sunday, 27 January, 2013, 8:25

Dear All

Please note the mail below from VM. I have used this as an initial guideline and my initial comments are attached. It is quite a lot more complex than I visualised. Hence, I would be grateful for your input.

Many thanks & trust all of you are well.

Kind Regards
Rohan

Rohan Karunaratne
Phone:

Subject: STCLC Essay Competition
Date: Sunday, 6 January, 2013, 15:49

Dear Rohan
I write further to our telephone conversation yesterday. As requested, I would like to make the following suggestions for you and the sub-committee to consider:
· Role of the Chair of the Assessment panel
o Liaise with Sriyan to appoint the panel members drawn from retired STC teachers. Note: Sriyan has informed me he is currently busy and that he will let us know end of this month.
o Oversee rules of the competition are upheld
o Convene and chair panel meetings
o Organise the logistics; Collect essay scripts from College and distribute to the assessors etc
o Sign winners’ certificates and make presentations
· Role of the Assessment panel
o Set assessment criteria , maximum word count and time limits
o Validate essay titles as appropriate to the age group and in accordance with exclusion criteria
o Issue guidance notes for each title
o Assess essays and agree on winners
· Suggested list of issues for the sub-committee
o All three languages or English only?
o Three separate competitions; Lower School, Middle School and Upper school?
o Exclusion criteria; non-political, non-racial etc
o Level of honorarium to be paid to the assessment panel members; this is an ‘operational cost’ and hence can be funded from the website advertising revenue. How many in the panel?
o Prize level? X% of the sponsorship funds? One winner for each age group or 1st and 2nd runners up?
o How to solicit essay titles and sponsorship money from individuals and companies? Would it be £x per title? What happens if no one takes up a title?
Please note the above suggestions are not set in stone, it is for you and the sub-committee to delete/add. The end result should be a proposal to the Warden which should lead to a MOU between us and the College.
Best regards
VM

SEE: www.stc-lifechances.com