S. Thomas' College Old Boys' Forum  

Go Back   S. Thomas' College Old Boys' Forum > Articles by past Teachers

Articles by past Teachers Contributed by our past teachers

Old 17-07-09, 10:22 PM
Charter Member

Default Joy & woe are woven fine a clothing for the soul divine

“A JOYFUL EVENING FOR THE THOMIANS ALTHOUGH IT WAS A WOEFUL TIME FOR THE COUNTRY”

“JOY & WOE ARE WOVEN FINE A CLOTHING FOR THE SOUL DIVINE,” were William Blake’s words several hundred years ago.

Amongst several threads of woe a single gold thread of joy was there to be woven for the clothing of the heart & soul divine of the Thomian Teachers who had retired several decades ago. The same Gold Thread went through that clothing of several hundred old thomians who were present on 4th December 2007, at Sasakawa Hall, Colombo 3. The chief guest was none other than our illustrious old scholar The Hon. Minister G.L Peiris for whom I happened to be the class teacher in 1958 in his 5th form ( JSC ) . Professor G.L gave a memorable speech as usual, philosophic & quite relevant to the occasion. I was anxious to remind him what we witnessed at the dinner he hosted on his 13th Birthday to the staff including Canon R.S De Saram whom we still remember as one of the best Wardens we ever had.

As we entered GL’s Panadura residence we were surprised to see a van full of Ice Cream surrounded by hundreds of less fortunate children of his neighbourhood. ( May be that was the first step towards his political career ). Unfortunately Professor GL had to leave the party early to attend to his ministerial work & I was unable to bring back his memories.

This historic occasion was filled with eloquent speeches from Kala Suri Arisen Ahubudu, Dr David Ponniah , Mr Frank Jayasinghe, Mr Mandawela , Mr Coperahewa & a few others.

This grateful idea of felicitating the old teachers of STC, I think was originated at Mr Sriyan Jayasekera’s residence during a conversation Sriyan held with his friends G.Y De Silva, Kesaralal & several other fellow Thomians. It was the day before our most respected head master of STC Mr D.S Jayasekera departed from us. I was eavesdropping & heard them discussing about felicitating the retired teachers who are still living. This idea went deep into my heart & mind as I am also one such retired teacher waiting for my transfer to another world may be in a few years. I am sure this great event will postpone that day of transfer by a few more years for all old teachers. These old Thomians of DSA Group Era had organized this felicitation event extremely well, full well showing the Thomian spirit. They had spent several hundred hours of their precious times & monies I believe, to have organize this event to such perfection.

We teachers were all given equal treatment & vey valuable presents to be taken home for sharing with our family members too, until Christmas time.

The most valuable part of it was the providing of transport to each & every teacher utilizing the old students living close to their homes to carter them to the hotel & back. The same old students , not only drove back the teachers home but also they were willing porters of the teachers to carry the heavy presents. So heavy were they that none of us old teachers would have been able to lift them by ourselves.

Last of all we have to thank these loyal old students heartily. Thomian teachers have done their duty I think by sending out to the world such grateful ones. This night was quite an enjoyable one even without drinks of the hard type showing perfect student teacher relationship from start to end.

Lets hope all other schools will follow this example & make this new born YEAR 2008 which has been named as the “YEAR OF GOOD CUSTOMS” a success & make this country a better place to live.

Well done DSA Era Group of STC Mt Lavinia.

W.G Sugathadasa - Wevita, Bandaragama

Joy and woe are woven fine,
A clothing for the soul divine,
Under every grief and pine,
Runs a joy with silken twine.
It is right it should be so,
We were made for joy and woe,
And when this we rightly know,
Through the world we safely go.
~ by William Blake

Dr Abdul Kalaam........"It Is Very Easy To Defeat Someone, but It Is Very Hard To Win Some"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wgs1.jpg (154.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg gkm1.jpg (142.8 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg gkm2.jpg (110.3 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 7660c969-1e1c-4348-889b-de18ca6cb85216th.jpg (52.6 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by sriyanj; 25-11-16 at 10:48 PM.