Go Back   S. Thomas' College Old Boys' Forum > Stories from the past

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 28-09-14, 01:57 PM
Charter Member

Default Father of Devepriya Jayasinghe at STC 1961-1971

S. DE S. JAYASINGHE:by SANJEEVANI RANASINGHE KURUWITA

Launched land mark developments in his electorate

z_p-08-Launched.jpg http://www.dailynews.lk/?q=archives/2014-09-26

September 26, 2014 marks the 37th death anniversary of my grandfather S.de.S. Jayasinghe J.P. OBE, former Cabinet Minister and Mayor of Dehiwela-Mt.Lavinia. Although I was little girl at the time of his sudden demise, I can recollect the sweet memories, growing up as his shadow.

Being the first grandchild to the family I had the privilege of getting spoilt by all. These wonderful memories are too good not to be shared. Coming from humble beginnings, Seeya led a simple life style and his teaching to us was never to get blinded by pride. This lesson in life will be followed by the entire family for many generations to come.

Born in the village of Pepiliyana on January 6, 1911 he was educated at Ananda Sastralaya, Kotte became a leading businessman and a popular politician, and was loved and respected by people from all walks of life.

His deep love and dedication to his children was significant. His two daughters, my mother Sunethra Ranasinghe and my aunt Dr. Sujatha Samarakoon showered with his love and care were guided and moulded to be two wonderful personalities - one a politician and the other a doctor. I was more than happy to steal their spot but had to be content with sharing. The untimely death of mama, his only son was a great loss to him.

Seeya was a fabulous grandfather. I remember how he used to feed me, take me to school and put me to sleep telling me stories related to Buddhism. A devoted Buddhist, he had a deep understanding of the religion and instilled this knowledge in family and friends. Associating the Buddhist clergy and temples very closely, he taught us to respect all religions equally. Seeya was the President of the Dayaka Saba at the Bellanwila Raja Maha Vihara and Sri Dathmalu Viharaya Kohuwala until his demise. He was also Chairman of the Amadyapana Sangraha Samitiya offering a tremendous service to pilgrims to Anuradhapura, Kataragama and Mahiyangana.

As a public figure he had to attend many official functions, weddings, funerals and meetings.

I had the rare privilege of tagging along with him holding his hand. I received my share of lime-light at a very tender age, popular amongst many. During his tenure as a Parliamentarian, he launched land-mark developments in his electorate. The Colombo South Teaching Hospital, pipe born water to Dehiwala and Ratmalana areas, and the establishment of schools to name a few.

He had the privilege of closely associating the first Prime Minister of Sri Lanka D.S. Senanayake, Dudley Senanayake, Sir John Kotalawala, J.R. Jayawardena, Ranasinghe Premadasa and also current President Mahinda Rajapaksa who still recall memories of my grandfather, visiting him at his residence at Kohuwela.

I was more than pleased to accompany Seeya on his visits to Kandawala to meet Sir John, where I enjoyed watching the birds and the elephant coming to greet Sir John at his daily breakfast table. This well-dressed politician and gentleman's (me being the official ‘shoe shine’, I loved picking out cuff links to match his shirt) sudden demise was a great loss not only to his family and friends but also to the people whom he loved very much and to the political party he represented, the UNP and the leaders to whom he had his highest respect and loyalty. Seeya left us 37 years ago, His golden memories will be treasured and will remain in our hearts forever. May he attain the supreme bliss of Nibbana!

- See more at: http://www.dailynews.lk/?q=archives/....70dDrjcA.dpuf

Devepriya Jayasinghe, Son of S De S Jayasinghe was at college from 1961 to 1971. He regularly published articles in the college magazine and was a active member of the Sinhala Literary Society.

From: Prof.Lakshman Madurasinghe (Cambridge University Network) <Madure@cantab.net>
Date: Mon, Sep 29, 2014 at 9:45 AM
Subject: Re: http://www.tyretracks.com/showthread.php?t=1230
To: Sriyan jayasekera <stc.dsa.era.group@gmail.com>

Dear Sriyan,

I just posted a reply.

Warm regards,

Lakshman

Prof.Lakshman Madurasinghe
Head Faculty of Creative Studies
Vice President Strategy- BTNRC
Brain Technology and Neuroscience Research Centre- BTNRC
J.R Jayewardene Cultural Centre, 191 Dharmapala Mw: Colombo 7
Tel: +94-11-4346528 :Websites: BTNRC
Faculty of Creative Studies

Last edited by sriyanj; 29-09-14 at 11:06 PM.