S. Thomas' College Old Boys' Forum  

Go Back   S. Thomas' College Old Boys' Forum > Prep Colpetty Group

Old 26-12-10, 08:53 PM
Charter Member

Default - taken at a concert given at St. Thomas' Prep. somewhere around 1961-62.

from Tyrone Graham <tyronegraham@gmail.com>
date Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 4:51 PM
subject-- taken at a concert given at St. Thomas' Prep. somewhere around 1961-2.

Dear Sriyan;

Here are a couple of photographs I located recently - taken at a concert given at St. Thomas' Prep. somewhere around 1961-2 - which I would be grateful if you would forward to the surviving members of the Kandyan Dance Troupe pictured therein.

Those I remember are: Gemunu Abeysekere, Jamaldeen Jiffry (who went on to Royal, Medical College and the US), Suresh (or Dinesh) Tampoe, Crossette-Thambiah (I forget his first name) and Fazal Hameed; late Keerthi Bulankulame was in the group; Tissa Mohotti and Arun Dias Bandaranayake were also part of it, if I remember right, together with another boy whose name eludes me; yours truly completed the lineup.

Please do the needful.

With thanks and kind regards,

Tyrone
Old 26-12-10, 09:25 PM
Charter Member

Default Concert given around 1961-62.

from Graham Masefield <gmasefield@hotmail.com>
date Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 12:09 PM

Hi Tissa /Max

I will be guessing - could one of guys be the late Ivan Potger or Robin Anthonisz ?
I have added Michael to the search - hope he can shed some light.
Regards
Graham

Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2010 15:58:34 +1100

Tissa,

Good to hear from you mate. I have tried racking my brains over this one but it has been such

a long long time … I haven’t got a clue. Maybe Graham, Jimmy or even Ranil can shed some light

on this one.

I caught up with Ranil Perera when I was in the UK. Unfortunately we just could not get a chance to meet.

Cheers,

Max

From: Tissa Mohotti [mailto:TMohotti@EngineersMedia.com.au]
Sent: Monday, November 01, 2010 3:03 PM

Hi Graham/Max,

I wonder if you can identify any of these guys add prep school.I am not good at placing names to the pictures.

Corrections to Tyrone’s comments:

Jamaldeen went to Guru & came to college for A/L before doing medicine & he is a doctor in Los Angeles. His family lived at Galle Fort.

Diresh Tampoe’s mother migrated to the US soon after he joined Royal from Prep & lives somewhere in Texas.

Tissa

Last edited by sriyanjay; 26-12-10 at 09:28 PM.
Old 26-12-10, 09:36 PM
Charter Member

Default - taken at a concert given at St. Thomas' P

from Tyrone Graham <tyronegraham@gmail.com>
to kattasambol@hotmail.com
cc mgerlach@aap.com.au,
Tissa Mohotti <tmohotti@engineersmedia.com.au>,
jim.buultjens@fairhavenservices.com.au,
erperera@gmail.com,
Michael Thiedeman <mickjan@bigpond.net.au>,
sriyanj@gmail.com
date Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 6:38 PM

Hi, Graham;

Couldn't be Ivan Potger, who passed away in 1960 or 1961 - after contracting tetanus, as I recall. His mother treated us to a cake in his memory on his birthday while we were in Std. IV. I remember the occasion well because it featured the headmaster's - old Kaakka-patches Perippinayagam's - presence, and once Mrs. Potger had made her exit he executed summary punishment upon me for being blue-mouthed (we were still new to ink-pens and prone to experimentation).

Ivan occupied the first bed on the right, placed against the wall, as one entered the main dorm at Prep.; my bed came next. Some mornings he would croak out for coffee before coming fully awake to the rude shock of being at school, in the boarding. (I cannot vouch for that myself, as I was usually the last to get up; I'm simply repeating hearsay.) Some evenings he would slither over the kabook wall separating the "green" from the adjoining embassy compound, 'pult in hand, hunting; he maintained a scrap-book of bird-wings and feathers.

An older brother (or cousin), Keith, was a founder member of the Seekers, Australia's most successful contribution to "the sounds of the sixties". Another brother, Granville, was supposed to have gone adventuring in South America: another rumour which I've not been able to substantiate. The stuff of legend ...

Regards,

Tyrone