S. Thomas' College Old Boys' Forum  

Go Back   S. Thomas' College Old Boys' Forum > Obituaries

Obituaries Funeral notices and appreciations

Old 25-06-17, 12:22 PM
Charter Member

Default Rameesh Weeratunga

To The STC Freshmen of '59

It is sad to note the passing away of Rameesh Weeratunga last week in Germany.

You will remember the Bugz musical group with Ramesh Weeratunga & Kumar Nawaratne

Few years back I spoke with Ramesh when he was in Sri Lanka. That time he was with Ceylon Tours, Ediriweeras.
There after he had developed a rare kind of cancer.

He was married to a German lady and had two children.
We are very unfortunate that we as a group did not get a chance to meet with him when he visited Sri Lanka.

May he rest in peace.

Kind regards

Sriyan
on behalf of The STC Freshmen of '59

RING OF FIRE https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVZ5VqhILK0

I like myself https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QM-QVkkHmd4

Ramesh Weeratunga
Ramesh B. Weeratunga (birth 1951 in Colombo ) is a Sri Lankan singer and songwriter, music producer, composer and sound designer .
Weeratunga went to Berlin at the age of 20, where he performed for many years as a singer. He mixed his Indian style with western elements from jazz and later from the pop genre. Later he founded the band Feel Wheel , with whom he recorded the album The Beauty of our Madness , which he produced together with Udo Arndt . Some of Weeratunga's songs were later covered by stars such as Sally Oldfield , Justin Hayward [1] , Veronika Fischer [2] and Ulla Meinecke [3] .
In 1990 Weeratunga recorded his first solo album called Open Wide ( Polydor ) . In 1993, he began working with the New York drummer Kenny Martin under the name Electric Rama , both of which released the album Go Deeper ( Traumton Records , 1996) . His next project The Visitor ( Laika ) together with Sangeeta Bandyopadhyay and Mr Hempala Perara reached the top 20 of the World Charts.

Weblinks [ Edit | Editing Code ]
Website of Ramesh Weeratunga
Ramesh Weeratunga at Discogs
Soundtrack of Ramesh Weeratunga in the catalog of the German National Library

http://www.rameshweeratunga.de/ramesh/start.html
Ramesh B. Weeratunga bei "Dschungelfieber" (Interview)

Date: Fri, Jun 23, 2017 at 11:56 AM
Subject: Re: Anil Weerakoon

I heard from TPT in Canada that Ramesh Werratunge had also died.

Arun

From: Howzat.dhushan@t-online.de <Howzat.dhushan@t-online.de>
Date: Sun, Jun 25, 2017 at 12:37 AM
Subject: AW: Rameesh Weeratunga

Hi Sriyan

Yes, Ramesh passed away last week. There is a post from Ponna on the Facebook site "20th Century Thomians Worldwide" about it. Very sad.

Cheers
Dhushan.

Date: Sun, Jun 25, 2017 at 1:55 PM
Subject: Re: Ramesh Weeratunga (R.B.Weeratunga)

Dear Sriyan,
Sorry I was not in town but contacted Rama's wife we had a long Chat.He had passed away at home after the long suffering rear cancer in heart side. Funeral matters are not discussed but she will inform me.May Ramesh rest in Peace. Thanks,
Regards to all.
Yours Sincerely Venura.
Outlook for Android herunterladen

Date: Sun, Jun 25, 2017 at 1:25 PM
To:

Thanks Sriyan,
Another one crossing the great divide. Seems to be more frequent now. I remember him well, always had a smile on his face.
Rest in peace, brother.

Regards,
Jeremy

Sent from my iPad

Date: Sun, Jun 25, 2017 at 2:12 PM
To:

This is real sad news. Ramesh, Neville, Dayantha, Baba Kumar Navaratne and I started the Bugs. Ravi took over lead when I left.
I spoke to Ramesh over the phone four years back when I was with Venura in Berlin.

Dr. Nalin Jayasuriya DBA(California), MBA, BBA(Hons.), FITD, FCPM, FIMS(UK), MMA(USA), MIPM, MSLIM
Chairman, McQuire Rens Group
212/5, Nawala Road, Nawala, Sri Lanka

Date: Sun, Jun 25, 2017 at 7:37 PM
To:

The demise of Ramesh Weeratunga in Berlin is very sad .
He gifted me one of his CDs in the 1990s when I met him with Venura in Berlin .
Did call him in early June when I was in Berlin , but had no response .
He got his talent from his mom late Kokila Devi of early sinhala music fame and Ramesh had connections to Baddegama
May he attain Nibbhana / R I P .
Milinda

Date: Sun, Jun 25, 2017 at 8:02 PM
Subject: RE: Ramesh Weeratunga (R.B.Weeratunga)
To:

Sad news indeed. Very close friend both as a musician and a classmate, but never met him after leaving school.
Never realised that he was associated with Ceylon Tours and the Ediriweera’s otherwise I would have loved to have seem him when he was alive.
Regards,
Lal

Date: Sun, Jun 25, 2017 at 3:31 PM
Subject: I recall this man like only yesterday....
To:

Sriyan,

Sad news. It looks like more sad news to come as we are all now in that zone. When the grim reaper decides to call us is the unknown but he surely will at some point in time.

Rameesh (or was his name spelt as Romesh?) anyway this dude sat next to me in Upper 4. Our class master was the affable Mr Liston K. Our English teacher was the now late Reverend Baldwin Daniel.
We submitted work on file papers. Baldwin used to correct our work and hand the papers back to us. That done he would open his Marks book and read out our names, and we had to shout out our marks.
A rather weird system now thinking about it, but that was the way it was, and it worked like a Swiss Clock at the time. So Baldwin shouts out, "Weeratunge and Rameesh shouts out, " 3 Sir," while he
also shows Baldwin 4 fingers! He always had one more finger up than his real marks. Baldwin could never work that one out. When he questioned Rameesh, he was neutered with one big smile!

Next as far as I recall he lived in Nugegoda and used the 144 bus to get to the Wellawatte Market. Quite a few college guys travelled on that bus. The other notable in our era was UWD Seneviratne,
who nailed his colours to the 144 bus mast but, that is another story. Rameesh had befriended the bus conductor and as far as I know always travelled free. Both these stories are long before
'bootle beats and Bugs the band.'

He was a gentle soul. In his latter years, he got into the music scene big time, and we lost contact. Then it eventually seems to have ended up in Germany, love, marriage and children.

May his soul rest in peace. Maybe RC and Rameesh have hooked up at a Pub for a few quiet ones.

MB

Date: Sun, Jun 25, 2017 at 8:30 PM
Subject: Re: I recall this man like only yesterday....
To:

Sad news indeed. Unfortunately lost contact with him after leaving school. Back then Ramesh lived close to my place on High Level Road and we used to meet quite often. The bus rides to school and back are but a few of the interesting and happy memories.

May he Rest in Peace.

Upali

Sent from my iPhone

Date: Sun, Jun 25, 2017 at 11:47 PM
To:

Dear Sriyan

Very sorry to note that RB Weeratunge our old class mate has passed away , he was with the bugs group with late NW de Silva and Kumar

May he rest in peace .

lakshman rajakaruna

Date: Wed, Jun 28, 2017 at 9:15 AM
To:

​Very Sad news - another one of our brethren passing away -May Ramesh rest in peace ​our thoughts and prayers are with his family.
Regards Graham
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10924692_368989453279204_2822318126124722045_n.jpg (22.8 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Image184446.jpg (12.3 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by sriyanj; 28-06-17 at 12:57 PM.