S. Thomas' College Old Boys' Forum  

Go Back   S. Thomas' College Old Boys' Forum > Sports

Sports Of Sports and things

Old 06-05-11, 07:06 PM
Charter Member

Default Rupert Ferdinands

Rupert Ferdinands

A product of St. Thomas’ College, Mt. Lavinia and former Head Prefect of the School. B.Sc. (Hons) graduate, Sri Lanka Davis Cup player and Australian qualified tennis coach (Level 3).
First won the Sri Lanka (then known as Ceylon) National Junior Under 16 Singles Title as a 12 years old, and continued to win the title till 15 years old when he won the National Junior Under 19 Singles title whilst still eligible to play in the U16s, and dominated the U19 title for the next 4 years.

Was selected to Ceylon’s first ever Davis Cup team as a 16 year old school boy, and thereafter played in almost every Davis Cup tie for Ceylon until migration to Australia in 1972.

Ranked No. 1 in Ceylon in 1957 and continued to be ranked No. 1 for over a decade.
In 1957, 1963, 1969 and 1970, he won the Ceylon National Singles title. Also won 4 National Men's Double and 5 National Mixed Doubles titles. In 1957 and 1970, he won National Triple Crown title at one and the same tournament.

Notable wins in his career were against Japan’s No. 3, India’ Anand Amritharaj and Premjit Lal, and England’s Michael Davies as a junior of the sane age and who subsequently became England’s No. 1 player, Davis Cup player and ITF stalwart. Had match point against Canada’s No. player Don Fontana, and set point against India’s Ramanathan Krishnan and Ham Richardson who was ranked within the top 5 players in America at the time.

On arrival in Australia in 1972, Rupert served as a apprentice tennis coach, and a year later he had no difficulty at all in qualifying as a Level 2 coach in 1973, and subsequently being accredited as a Level 3 coach. In 1975, Rupert was awarded the General Coaches Education Certificate by the Department of Youth, Sport and Education of Victoria, Australia.

Rupert was a Member of the Tennis Coaches-- Victoria (TCAV) Board of Management for over 15 years. During this time, he acted as Secretary of the TCAV during the temporary absence of the Secretary and was also its Vice President at one time. He was invited to speak at National Tennis Coaches Seminars in Australia, and wrote several articles on various aspects of coaching that appeared in Australia’s TENNIS Magazine from 1985-1989. In 1989, Rupert was appointed to a 5-man National Technical Committee for standardizing stroke techniques for teaching purposes for tennis coaches around Australia under the guidance of the National Director of Coaching. In the 1990s, he was sponsored by the Australian Government and the International Tennis Federation (ITF) on two separate occasions to proceed to Sri Lanka and conduct training courses for tennis coaches based on the Australian system.

Rupert’s greatest contribution to the TCAV was undoubtedly his dedication to managing the TCAV Training School for Coaches for over 15 years as Manager and Chairman of its Examination Panel. During this time, his Training School committee introduced several improvements that led to high standards in the teaching of theory and practical components in the Training School. Rupert attended every trainee coaches’ lecture, each amounting to 2 hours, for over about 35 weeks, plus all practical sessions, for over 15 years. He considered his presence at these lectures very essential to deal with any on-the-spot problems, and these were numerous. He felt that it was nothing but professional to be present to introduce the lecturers, summarize the lecture at the end of the day, hand out any notes, general house-keeping, and, as importantly, thanking the lecturer at the end of the day. Rupert reckons that he would have spent well over 1,500 hours in the class room and out on court during his tenure as Training School Manager—not to mention the extra number of hours spent attending Board of Management meetings and Training School meetings for about 15 years. This, of course, was in addition to his normal 9-5 daytime job as Projects Manager at Standards Australia specializing in the medical and dental areas, and his own private coaching at several local clubs. Time for family life was always at a premium!
Just 2 years ago, Rupert was honoured as a National Sporting Hero of Sri Lanka by the Ministry of Sports, Sri Lanka for his achievements in tennis both in Sri Lanka and abroad.

On 28th November 2010, because of his pro-active attitude and programs over the years, enthusiasm and dedication to the tennis coaching profession, genuine hard work, a lifetime contribution to the game of tennis, and been instrumental in the success of many young tennis players and coaches in Victoria, Rupert was inducted into the Hall Of Fame of the Tennis Coaches—Victoria at an Awards Night held at Kooyong Lawn Tennis Club. A very prestigious award and a rare honour indeed
Old 07-02-14, 11:27 AM
Charter Member

Default who excelled at international level

According to the Sports Ministry former sportsmen and women who excelled at international level from the decades of 1950-70 will be felicitated.

Two Thomians Rupert Ferdinands (Tennis 1958) and Ekendra Edirisinghe (Yachting 1970) were invited by the Sports Ministry to be felicitated by President Mahinda Rajapaksa at the occasion of the opening of the new building of the Sports Ministry.

1970 in Bangkok: Ray Wijewardene and Ekendra Edirisinghe (Yachting) won the Silver medal. (It was a Thomian pair)

Rupert FERDINANDS
Sri Lanka

ProfileResults

Date of birth:
Birth place:1956-70
Residence:
Plays:Unknown
Singles ranking:
Doubles ranking:

Appearances
OverallSinglesDoubles
Total Clay Hard Grass Carpet Unknown Indoors Outdoors
Won 9 3 0 3 0 3 0 6
Lost 15 4 0 0 0 11 0 4
RECENT APPEARANCES

1970 Eastern Semifinal
SRI d. MAS 3-0 in MAS 14 Mar - 16 Mar 1970
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia ()
R2 W MAS Flag TAN, Song-Kean 7-5 6-3 6-1
R3 W MAS Flag AZMAN, Sultan-Aman/ TAN, Song-Kean, Partnering PINTO, Bernard 4-6 6-3 3-6 6-0 6-0
1969 Eastern Final
IND d. SRI 4-1 in SRI 25 Mar - 27 Mar 1969
Ceylon LTA, Colombo, Ceylon Clay (O)
R2 L IND Flag MISRA, Shiv-Prakash 3-6 3-6 3-6
R3 W IND Flag AMRITRAJ, Anand/ MISRA, Gaurav, Partnering PINTO, Bernard 2-6 7-9 14-12 7-5 6-4

More results
Key statistics
First year played 1956
Total nominations 11
Ties played 11
Singles (W/L) 4/9
Doubles (W/L) 5/6
Total (W/L) 9/15

Date: Fri, Feb 7, 2014 at 8:24 PM
Subject: Re: Mustang Tent

Dear Sriyan,

Please extend to all the stalwarts of STC my hearty congratulations and best wishes in being recognized by the President.
Both Rupert & Ekendra commanded my respect and admiration. Rupert was senior to me & was an outstanding tennis player and a fine pianist as well. Having joined the N"Eliya brewery he fell in love with the glass of cheer and was kind enough to show me round one day.
I am indeed thankful to you for sharing the wonderful staff photograph which brought to mind the wonderful years at STC and in particular my day in the Upper 4 C of 1958. I was then 12 years old and my form master was Leonard Arndt who taught English in a most peculiar unique style.GL Peiris, then a flabby fat boy was one of my class mates, and an exceptionally close friend with whom many a moment was spent in happy conversation within the comfortable confines of the Austin Princess. Shanti Soysa, now a respected doctor serving the British Palace I am told,was my best friend among many a good friend that composed the cream of the year. upper 4 C in those days was the point at which the sheep were separated from the goats, if I am permitted to say so in lighter vein. I dearly remember my Latin guru, the Warden himself, who taught the subjected seated, with his squeaky voice and pipe adding character to his burly frame.I also remember getting very high marks for latin, not because I was good at it, but because I had memorized the translation of a famous passage which luck would have it was in the test paper. Indeed, I was one of the favourites of my sinhala teacher, Pinto Jayawardene who now & then paid tribute to my Sinhala verse. I have so much more to count, but I will not bore you with more tales of yore.
Good night Sriyan. Thanks again for the lovely photo of which with your permission I will take a copy.
Take care

Mevan P

Last edited by sriyanj; 08-02-14 at 06:36 PM.