Go Back   S. Thomas' College Old Boys' Forum > Prefects' Group of 1969 to 1973

Old 05-08-17, 10:15 AM
Charter Member

Default "Friends of the Bone Marrow Transplantaion Program"

Date: Mon, Jun 26, 2017 at 10:22 AM
Subject: Fwd: BMT Project - More Good News
To:

Dear Sriyan,

All these e mails are about a Bone Marrow Transplant Program in Sri Lanka, where Rizavi hospital (Cancer Hospital Maharagama) have already started and only 2 patients could be cured per month.

Have's will definitely go to a private hospital or go abroad to get cured. Have not's will have a silent death.

I am sending this mail as, I am also a trustee in this BMT project. You may go through all these mails and decide whether you could get our Thomian Prefects group in Sri Lanka and abroad to support this project in some way.

Best Regards,

HDK Silva

--
3K Holdings (Pvt) Ltd.,
No 92, Industrial Estate,
Katuwana,
Homagama.
Sri Lanka

TP 0112748473
Fax 0112748473

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, Jun 23, 2017 at 7:30 PM
Subject: BMT Project - More Good News
To:

Dear Gerry and All,

Thank you very much for all the hard work and for your valuable time spent on this task to achieve this milestone. We really appreciate for taking this program on board and treating it dearly.

We have another good news to share with you.
In response to the request we personally made to His Excellency the President during his visit to Canberra, his office has contacted Prasad and asked him to submit a proposal for funding.
Then he submitted the attached letter (we helped him with a draft) and on the 14th of June, he received the confirmation from the Presidential Fund that the funding for the patientís pre-testing costs (tests carried out outside NCI) has been approved (as suggested in the proposal).
This is a big relief for the sustainability of the program. Now we, The Friendís of BMT Program, can focus on the emergency situations (eg. Delays or lack of funding from the Ministry for consumables , lending funds for patients until they claim/ reimburse from the Presidential fund etc.).
Prasad said that he could not get a quotation for the BMT unit ceiling works, yet (as Gerry mentioned in his previous update). Although we would expect this to be covered by the warranty (in case of a defect) or maintenance, we may still have to help out, depending on the severity and urgency.

Thanks again for your contributions towards this worthy cause. If you get a chance to meet the patients or their families, youíll realise the value of your contribution.

We also wish to let you know that our BMT fund here has just above $5000 currently. As we are awaiting the next step from the SVH team, that is carrying out the second stage (Allogeneic Transplantation) in Sri Lanka, which will need further fund raising here for travelling / accommodation / expenses of the team.

Best regards,

Jude and Chryshanthi

Attached: Our earlier email of 1st June.

Sent: Thursday, 22 June 2017 1:31 PM
To:
Subject: BMT Project

Dear all,

I am very happy to inform that the Current Account of the "Friends of the Bone Marrow Transplantaion Program" was opened at the Commercial Bank Maharagama.

The Account number is 1180064038

I would like to thank all members for their support and cooperation despite their busy schedules. I am sorry that the opening of the account took a bit more time than anticipated and would like to thank you for your patience and understanding.

Now, as discussed at our inaugural meeting, the members are free to deposit their contributions in to the above account at your convenience.

Our member Mr Sajith Nanyakkara, Director, JFI Printers has kindly consented to design and print the letterhead. The approval of the signatories to operate the account will be signed by the members, will be done once the letterhead is prepared.

A big thank you to all and we hope and pray that we will be able to make a worthwhile and an effective contribution towards the sustenance of this important Program

Best regards

Gerry

---------- Forwarded message ----------
To: "'Gerry Suraweera'" <gerry.suraweera@gmail.com>
Cc:
Bcc:
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2017 00:48:46 +1000
Subject:
Hi Gerry and all,

As you are aware our President was in Canberra on an official visit. Our High Commissioner (Mr. Skandakumar) and Deputy HC (Mrs Himalee Arunathilaka) not only invited the BMT, gave us the opportunity to make a 3 minute presentation. It was a very small group (approx. 20 of us, plus another 20 from Sri Lanka) as only one rep from each organisation was invited for the dinner/gathering. I represented the BMT and presented the positives achieved to date and ended it with a strong request (demand) to sustain the program.
Skanda & Himalee had strategically placed me on the High Table with the President giving me the opportunity to talk to him over dinner. We also presented him with a report of the progress to date, and a letter requesting what is needed in future for sustainability. (See attached). The two on my left and right are Veteran John Amaratunga and a youngster Harshana Rajakaruna. But I managed to talk to Harsha De Silva (Dr) about the BMT. (Met him 2 months ago during Ranilís Visit)

Please feel free to circulate these docs among the trustees, but make sure they keep them within the circle. We purposely, did not mention about our Trust as we would like His Excellency to form a trust for BMT, as a permanent mechanism. Ė See letter. He agreed to do his best to fulfil our request.

Hope your area is safe from floods. We will be doing a fund-raiser for that soon.

Best regards,

Jude & Chryshanthi