S. Thomas' College Old Boys' Forum  

Go Back   S. Thomas' College Old Boys' Forum > STC Event news

Old 27-01-18, 08:57 PM
Charter Member

Default 2018 Australia Day Honours

2018 Australia Day Honours
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Australia Day Honours 2018 are appointments to various orders and honours to recognise and reward good works by Australian citizens. The list will be announced on 26 January 2018 by the Governor-General of Australia, Sir Peter Cosgrove.

The Australia Day Honours are the first of the two major annual honours lists, the first announced to coincide with Australia Day (26 January), with the other being the Queen’s Birthday Honours , which are announced on the second Monday in June.

Member of the Order of Australia (AM)
General Division

Sandra Joyce BERENGER
– For significant service to nursing in the field of infection prevention and control, as a clinician and consultant, and to medical associations. Cardiff, NSW 2285

Medal of the Order of Australia (OAM)

General Division

David Aldo SANSONI – For service to the community of Baulkham Hills, NSW 2153

Date: Sun, Jan 28, 2018 at 10:03 PM
Subject: David Aldo SANSONI Medal of the Order of Australia
To:

To The STC Prefects Group,

Dear David,

Many congratulations on your great award.
We Thomian friends are extremely proud of your very prestigious achievement.

My mind goes back to 1966 when our Chemistry master Mr Godfree Senaratne said lets stop work and listen to David practicing for the choir.

We were informed that this award is in recognition of the outstanding and inspiring work you have done and continue to do for St Pauls church and the community of Baulkhan Hills Shire through music.

Wish you energy and courage for you to continue the great work.

Kind regards

Sriyan
on behalf of The STC Prefects Group,
http://www.tyretracks.com/showthread.php?t=1783

Date: Mon, Jan 29, 2018 at 3:34 AM
Subject: RE: David Aldo SANSONI Medal of the Order of Australia
To:
Dear Sriyan,

You are very kind and I am grateful. J

That’s a lovely story … of Godfrey and the Chemistry class. J

I am deeply touched that a friend (of the choir ... himself a gentleman of quiet but considerable achievement ... in education, disability services and care … did count me worthy of nomination; that he garnered the active support of others as referees, and made submission to the Governor-General for this honour to be bestowed on me.

It is indeed overwhelming.

He put the matter in perfect perspective.

He wrote:

"Congratulation David Sansoni OAM. Your commitment and leadership to St Pauls church and the community of Baulkham Hills Shire through music �� has been recognised by the Governor General of Australia. Your Order of Australia is recognition of the outstanding and inspiring work you have done and continue to do. Congratulations dear friend. May the Lord be with you always to support your ministry to St Paul’s and the Hills community."

My daughter Natasha, wrote a beautiful preamble to her 'facebook' entry. It runs ...

So proud of you and your joyful service to KING* and country dad.
This award is well deserved.

“In the category, Medal of the Order of Australia, (OAM), David Sansoni , the choral conductor and Co-Director at St Paul’s Castle Hill for more than 10 years was named for service to the community of Baulkham Hills.”

Well done Karima- over 40 years of marriage, love, support, worry, care, joy... you deserve a medal too!

It’s been a memorable Australia Day for us!

Many blessings. Thanks again.

Sincerely,

David

KING* - God

Sent: Sunday, 28 January 2018 5:29 AM
To: 'David Sansoni'
Subject: Congratulations

Morning David...

Have just seen Roger’s E mail...and from where my butt’s parked... across this continent...thought this may be an ‘early’ AF joke...and then realised it’s still January...so it must be true!!!!.

WOW... seems your light has been under the proverbial bushel....again ...from my patch at least

That is some accolade to receive (to Non Oz...Highest Honour...methinks... in Australia)z

I am taking the opportunity.. and the bull by the proverbials...and sharing...amongst my/our fellow products of the School by the Sea...

Well done Mate...Anne joins me in passing on our personal congratulations

As I read ‘somewhere’...in my dim distant past...well done thou good and faithful servant

Regards and Best Wishes

Maurice Fairweather

Perth WA

From: Roger Aldons [mailto:abaco@access-downunder.com.au]

Sent: Saturday, 27 January 2018 9:28 PM
To: Roger Aldons
Subject: FW: Congratulations

Dear Friends,

FYI and further interest – David’s response to my earlier email.

Cheers!

Roger

Sent: Saturday, 27 January 2018 11:55 PM
To: Roger Aldons <abaco@access-downunder.com.au>
Subject: Re: Congratulations

Thank you very much Roger and Julia.

A deeply humbling moment.

The gentleman (from our church choir) who nominated me, put the matter in perfect perspective.

He wrote:

"Congratulation David Sansoni OAM. Your commitment and leadership to St Pauls church and the community of Baulkham Hills Shire through music �� has been recognised by the Governor General of Australia. Your Order of Australia is recognition of the outstanding and inspiring work you have done and continue to do. Congratulations dear friend. May the Lord be with you always to support your ministry to St Paul’s and the Hills community."

Praise God.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

David��

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

Last edited by sriyanj; 29-01-18 at 08:32 AM.
Old 31-01-18, 10:34 AM
Charter Member

Default Might interest a lifetime of service to many. MB

Date: Wed, Jan 31, 2018 at 5:25 AM
Subject: Might interest a lifetime of service to many. MB
To:

https://apac01.safelinks.protection....%3D&reserved=0

Sansoni awarded OAM for musical service to community
Lawrence Machado, Hills Shire Times
January 30, 2018 9:25am

Riding for Disabled's Lovely awarded OAM
DAVID Sansoni, who has received an Medal of the Order for service to the community of Baulkham Hills, said he is very humbled to be recognised for his many years being active with the choir of St Paul’s Anglican Church, Castle Hill.

Mr Sansoni, who retired last year from his shipping job, said he was surprised when he was informed of OAM, saying there are many more deserving people than him.

The Sri Lankan-born has been singing in choirs since he was six. “Todate, it is still sinking because there are others much more deserving of this kind of recognition, including some of my acquaintances,” said Mr Sansoni, 65, who is a tenor and light baritone in the choir.

“I am really surprised because I never imagined that what I would consider a pleasant contribution via the church and choir, would be deemed worthy of recognition.

“My nomination for this award and the eventual bestowing of it upon me, has brought home the realisation that the Christian ministry (coaching, directing and leading the choir and music at St. Paul’s), has significant and far-reaching, global effect.”

Mr Sansoni, who immigrated from Sri Lanka in 1987 with his family, has been the conductor and co-director of the church choir since 2007 and a member of the parish since 2000.

Mr Sansoni, who is married to Karima. is a well known musician, and along with his daughter Natasha, has been playing in bands and combos for years.

The grandfather of two and former ruggerite said he would cherish this honour and celebrate it by stepping up his work in the choir.

Mr Sansoni said the choir of St Paul’s is very active in the community, raising more than $30,000 for humanitarian causes over the past decade.

The choir also holds twice-yearly musicals and play at major events, including the Centenary of Anzac at Bella Vista Farm in 2015.

He is closely related to internationally renown photographer Dominic Samoni and fashion icon Barbara Sansoni, whose Barefoot range is her legacy.

“I have been singing from a very young age and have been involved with the choir ar St. Francis of Assisi, Mt. Lavinia, St. Thomas’ College choir, Colombo Philharmonic and Colombo Singers,’ Mr Sansoni said.

“I have been composing and recording radio and TV jingles from age 16.

“My major influences have been my grandmas, Mum, Dad, uncle Aldo Sansoni and sister Astrid.”

He thanked many people and organisations for their guidance and support including: the Church of St. Francis of Assisi, Rev. (Canon) Roy H. Bowyer Yin (choir master and chaplain of St. Thomas’ College), Russell Bartholomeusz (retired choir master of St. Thomas’ College); Mrs R. Selvaratnam, Dr. Nihal Hettiaarachchi and Iranganie Wickremasinghe (nee Hettiaarachchi) (all of St. Francis), Arthur Van Langenburg and Terrie Kelly (Colombo Singers), Averill Greet (Paynter Homes choir), professor Gerald Cooray and Jeyarajan Paul (Colombo Philharmonic).

“I have had no voice training, but all these respected persons imparted their knowledge and instruction over a period of 34 years.,” Mr Sansoni said.

“ I have deep gratitude to my lifelong friend and superlative musician, Manilal Weerakoon, the retired associate conductor of the Symphony Orchestra of Sri Lanka,” Mr Sansoni said.

“And Manilal’s inspiration must count for much in my own development as a conductor of chorus and orchestra.

“I have also long been greatly inspired by Leonard Bernstein, Andre Previn, Daniel Barenboim, Zubin Mehta and Gustavo Dudamel. It’s been a case of watch and learn.”

1. David Sansoni conducts the St Paul's Anglican Church choir. Picture: David Hobbs

2. David Sansoni said he is very surprised at the honour.

3. David Aldo Sansoni, conductor and co-director St Paul's Anglican Church choir at Castle Hill. Picture: John O'Brien
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9c3261fb9395280dba185054c81bf34c.jpg (39.3 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 141fd28d0f943173268cc47cd0d8a141.jpg (25.0 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 5026042665bb4ce52930f0e9aa7911b9.jpg (69.8 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg OAM 2018.jpg (517.7 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by sriyanj; 31-01-18 at 10:48 AM.