Go Back   S. Thomas' College Old Boys' Forum > STC Projects

STC Projects New projects at STC

Old 07-09-12, 07:54 PM
Charter Member

Default It’s all done! Please see: www.stc-lifechances.com

On Fri, Sep 7, 2012 at 6:48 PM, vijitha weerasinghe <viji@talk21.com> wrote:

Dear Friends
It’s all done! Please see: www.stc-lifechances.com
Click on Warden’s message, just got it today. He says he will sign the MOU on Monday.
On behalf of the Committee I would like to say a big thank you to the following (copied herein):
· Sriyan, for helping me initially with this project. He has kindly agreed to organise the distribution of leaflets at tomorrow’s gala dinner event at STC.
· Tissa, who has kindly agreed to be our ‘sales facilitator’ in SL
· Noel, for supplying the fantastic sketches for the slideshow. I would agree with the Warden in his message, the school buildings are indeed national treasures.
You will agree that this project could only be a success if it is promoted properly and I have to admit this is an area I am not good at. So, I would need your suggestions and assistance!
Best regards
VM
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >> >>>>>>>>
Old 16-10-12, 07:15 PM
Charter Member

Default www.stc-lifechances.com

Date: Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 5:37 PM

Dear Sriyan

RE: www.stc-lifechances.com

I am pleased to inform that all of the formalities are now complete and the website is now fully functional and open for ‘business’. Could you please circulate this widely as possible.

Many thanks.
VM
Old 15-03-13, 11:30 PM
Charter Member

Default STC Life Chances - End of financial year accounts Warden's comments

Date: Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 6:18 AM
Subject: STC Life Chances - End of financial year accounts Warden's comments
To: Niranjan DeSilva <niranjan.desilva@gmail.com>, ap desilva <a.desilva@qub.ac.uk>, KingsleySeevaratnam <k.seevaratnam@westmontuk.com>, RKARUNARATNE <rohanromo@btinternet.com>, Arun <arundb@eureka.lk>, Dr SarathAbeykoon <sabey@eureka.lk>, "Jafferjee & Sons ( Pvt)Ltd" <jaffsons@sltnet.lk>, Jayantha ManujithWaidyaratne <jayanthamwaidyaratne@yahoo.com>, "tmohotti@bigpond.net.au" <tmohotti@bigpond.net.au>, "Deepal ( Health)Lecamwasam" <deepal.lecamwasam@health.sa.gov.au>, drweerasinghe <drweerasinghe@hotmail.com>, BALENRAJANATHAN <bcs@rogers.com>, "howzat.dhushan@t-online.de" <howzat.dhushan@t-online.de>, "dhamitha@lankemplantations.lk" <dhamitha@lankemplantations.lk>
Cc: "tmjourneyoflife@gmail.com" <tmjourneyoflife@gmail.com>, SriyanJayasekera <sriyanj@gmail.com>

Dear Friends
Please see Warden's comments below. Rohan, it appears the Warden is keen on the essay competition. Let me kick start the process by suggesting the following essay topics:
Sri Lankan cricket: Transition to world class
Guidance notes: You should review the Teams’ performance over the last 25 years, the players’ background, coaches and coaching methodologies, resources which were available and the administration structure. Draw conclusions how the transition was achieved and suggest ways by which it can be improved and sustained.

Inventions and discoveries that changed the world: 1900 to present day
Guidance notes: You should rank ten inventions/ discoveries of your choice, write a brief biography of the key people involved in each of the inventions, what inspired them, describe in detail each invention/ discovery and impact on mankind.

My dreams and aspirations
Guidance notes: Dreams could relate to a big picture as in John Lennon’s song ‘Imagine’ or Rev. Martin Luther King’s speech ‘I have a dream’. Aspirations are more personal, what is it that you want to be or achieve and how do you plan to achieve your aspirations?

History of the Sri Lankan plantation industry
Guidance notes: To include the major plantation industries in Sri Lanka, the contribution to the Country’s economy, key players in this sector and future trends.

Presidents / Prime Ministers of Sri Lanka since independence: Their major contributions and legacy
Guidance notes: List all of the prime ministers and presidents of Sri Lanka since independence giving a brief biography and political affinity. Describe major contributions made to the development of the country and its people under their leadership and rank the three best in your opinion.

Pros and cons of austerity measures in the current economic climate
Guidance notes: The social impact of austerity measures is clear particularly in a number of European countries. Youth unemployment is a serious concern. Discuss alternative strategies to stimulate growth, create employment and reduce the long term borrowing requirement.

Drone strikes: Violation of Human Rights or a proportionate means of achieving a legitimate aim
Guidance notes: You should review drone technology and consider recent news items such as those listed below and draw your own conclusions:
· The Lahore High Court (LHC) has observed that 176 children killed in US drone strikes could not be called terrorists and only parliament’s resolutions could solve the issue.
· Senators Ted Cruz and Rand Paul have introduced a bill, S. 505, that would prohibit drone killings of U.S. citizens on U.S. soil if they do not represent an imminent threat
· One interviewee described the constant surveillance of the drones as “a wave of terror,” adding that “children, grown-up people, women, they are terrified. . . . They scream in terror.” Another described the drones as “like a mosquito. Even when you don’t see them, you can hear them, you know they are there.”
Best regards
VM
PS:
Breaking news: We have had a fantastic donation of £500 from an old Thomian who wishes to remain anonymous.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
----- Forwarded Message -----
From: Soysa Indra Sirimevan De <indra.de.soysa@svt.ntnu.no>
To: vijitha weerasinghe <viji@talk21.com>
Sent: Thursday, 14 March 2013, 4:14
Subject: Re: STC Life Chances - End of financial year accounts
Dear Vijitha. Thanks very much for the update. I wish everyone we deal with was as meticulous and thorough as you are I also want to say how much we appreciate your efforts. This project is exemplary of how a fundraising project should be managed. I will get back to you within a week on the scholarships to AT´s academy. Things have been a bit too hectic. My preference is to have an essay competition from among the junior boys and pick them that way. What do you say? Best, Indra
Reply-To: vijitha weerasinghe <viji@talk21.com>
Date: Wednesday, March 13, 2013 7:47 PM
To: indras <indra.de.soysa@svt.ntnu.no>
Subject: Fw: STC Life Chances - End of financial year accounts
Dear Indra
The end of first financial year is March 2013. I have categorised the transactions as follows:
1. Set up costs ( Web site development, legal costs, domain registration, logo design and design of promotional leaflet ) £992 Note: This is a donation from me.
2. Cash donations £261
3. Shipping costs £224 Note: This is a donation from me.
4. Cash equivalent of items donated to College £3443
5. Sale proceeds of items listed on website £1150 Note: This is the test consignment of items I sent to SL. Tissa has told me that he will present a cheque for £1150 to you this week irrespective whether all of the items are sold or not. This is the total value of the goods.

Could you please consider the attached documents and let me have your comments. I will be submitting these documents to an accountant who will prepare the year end accounts for us. These accounts will be published on the website. I will also need the end of year report from you which will be published on the website. Please see attached also, the signature page of the MOU. Apologise for the delay.
Thank you for your cooperation.
Best regards
Vijitha
PS:
Could you please let me know whether you have the approval of the Cricket Committee with regard Dr Palitha Kohona's kind gesture to sponsor five scholarships to Anura Tennekoon’s Cricket Academy. Thanks.