S. Thomas' College Old Boys' Forum  

Go Back   S. Thomas' College Old Boys' Forum > STC Projects

STC Projects New projects at STC

Old 15-03-15, 07:22 PM
Charter Member

Default The G.K. Mandawala memorial scholarship fund.

Let our dream become a reality......
'Little drops of water, little grains of sand, make the mighty ocean and the beauteous land.' Julia Carney,1845.

As the family of late Mr. G.K. Mandawala we want to do our part for his legacy to continue at his most beloved alma mater S. Thomas’ College.

Supported by my family I have taken it upon myself, as my personal goal, to establish and build The G.K. Mandawala memorial scholarship fund.

Having met with the Warden, we were made to understand that at present approximately Rs15,000,000.00 of college funds is allocated to support boys whose parents are faced with financial difficulty. I strongly believe that the best way to ensure dad's legacy lives on and the best way to contribute back to the STC family is by raising funds to provide a full annual scholarship, to a deserving student facing financial difficulty.

The scholarship will be awarded to:

A deserving cadet or boarder in need of financial assistance.

The target and what it means:

The ultimate target is to raise approximately Rs.2,200,000.00.

Based on the current annual school fees, a sum of approximately Rs. 108,000.00 is required to provide a full annual scholarship. This can be achieved if a sum of approximately Rs2,200,000.00 can be raised and placed as a one-off deposit, in a bank chosen by the school. The annual interest will provide the necessary funds for the scholarship and will be managed by the school.

Once the contributions reach the halfway mark of Rs1,100,000.00 a partial scholarship will be activated.

The time frame to raise the funds:

We are aiming to achieve the overall target in two stages:

Level 1 - reach Rs1,100,000.00 within 3 to six months - at which point a partial scholarship will be activated.
Level 2 - reach Rs2,200,000.00 within 6 to 12 months - at which point a full scholarship can be provided.

How can you be a part of this effort:

Every Rupee counts towards building the career of a young, deserving Thomian who will be given the opportunity to continue to belong to this wonderful family, in the absence of which, his parents may not be able to continue the child's education at STC, due to financial difficulty.

Please send in your contributions directly to Sampath Bank using the details provided.

Details of the account:

Bank: Sampath Bank
Branch: Dehiwala
Branch Address: No. 155, Galle Road, Dehiwala, Sri Lanka
Account Type: Savings Account
Account Name: Late Mr.G.K Mandawala Scholarship Fund
Account No: 1017-6100-1272
Branch code: 017
Bank code: 7278
Swift code: BSAMLKLX

How we propose to track the progress:

Given the contributions are directed to The Warden or made directly to the account; the family will not have visibility of the contributions being made. As a result, can I please request you to keep us in the loop when making the contribution, to enable us to maintain records. You can either email me, my brothers or provide the details to my mum, whichever is most convenient to you.

In doing so, please provide us with the following details:

Name of individual\s or group making the contribution
Amount being deposit\transferred or issued via cheque

However, if you wish to remain anonymous, we respect your decision.

How we propose to keep you in the loop of our progress:

I will email you an update at the end of each month, commencing end April 2015.
Old 15-03-15, 07:24 PM
Charter Member

Default Late Mr. G.K. Mandawala scholarship fund - account details

Date: Sun, Mar 15, 2015 at 1:53 PM
Subject: Late Mr. G.K. Mandawala scholarship fund - account details

Dear gentlemen,

Hope this email finds you well! Further to my email a few weeks ago, college has now setup the account for the scholarship fund.

A big thank you to all who have been corresponding with me for the past several weeks. Once again, your dedication towards dad has resulted in an overwhelming response supporting my appeal.

A special thank you to the Group of 55' who have already handed over a contribution to the fund at a dinner held in Colombo last week, to which my mum was invited to accept the contribution. This contribution has been handover to the Warden thereafter. This was a lovely gesture and mum was deeply touched.

I have put together a simple presentation with all details pertaining to the scholarship, including the account details. Please refer to the attachment. Mr. Milroy Berenger, a special 'thank you' for your suggestions towards this task. Please pass this on to other old boys who were taught by dad and may want to be a part of this project.

Once again, please do not hesitate to contact me via email or mobile (+ 61 417 297 983) if you need any further information or wish to speak with me.

Thanking you for your continued support, in advance.

Best regards,

Ramindri