S. Thomas' College Old Boys' Forum  

Go Back   S. Thomas' College Old Boys' Forum > Obituaries

Obituaries Funeral notices and appreciations

Old 15-07-17, 06:44 PM
Charter Member

Default Gamini Gunawardena ( Chucker)

Sent: Wednesday, 26 July 2017 6:06 p.m.
To: K Indrakumar <indrank@xtra.co.nz>
Subject: Fwd: FW: Funeral arrangements in Sri Lanka for Gamini "Chucker" Gunawardena - Friday 28th July 17

An Update on the funeral arrangements in Sri Lanka :

Gamini "Chucker" Gunawardena

Remains will lie from 8pm today (Wednesday 26th July) at:
No :112, "Sriyani", Dickman Road, Asgiriya, Gampaha

Date : Friday, 28th July (Funeral)
Cortege leaves residence on Friday 28th at :
3.30 pm to St.John the Baptist church for service at 4.30 pm

Date: Sat, Jul 15, 2017 at 10:23 AM
Subject: Notice That Chucker Passed Away Early Today Morning
To:

All,

This morning Para (Rudy) conveyed some sad news of Chucker's Gamini untimely passing away early today morning.

Raji & Byser-please notify your class group so they can do the need full.

Informed the funeral is likely to be in Colombo, so that is why I ask this favor.

Main contact phone number in the UK is Para- 07958-237-644.

He is copied & his email is in this communication.

All the best for now & our thoughts with Everyone who knew him.

Please distribute this information to others you know.

Regards

Pat

Date: Sat, Jul 15, 2017 at 3:44 PM
Subject: Death
To

Dear Sriyan
Gamini Gunawardena ( Chucker)has passed away in London.
He was our Sub wardens son( Patrick Gunawardena.

Arjun

Arjun Dharmadasa
Managing Director
Lanka Exhibition & Conference Services (Pvt.) Ltd.
#40, 4th Floor, Automobile Association Building, Sir Macan Maker Mw., Colombo 3, Sri Lanka.

Date: Sat, Jul 15, 2017 at 12:57 PM
Subject: Gamini Gunawardene (Chukker) Passed away
To:

Dear Srian,

Just to keep you in the Loop if you have not heard, Gamini Gunawardene aka Chukker passed away this Morning in London . No funeral details yet. Son of former Headmaster Patrick Gunawardana

Message from Sister Patricia below

" Malli passed away this morning at 3.15am in St.Mary's Paddington he has had an Aneurysm in the brain.
I was there for him. Please tell his Thomian friends.
Nangi and Pressi are coming from Canada and Sue is going to tell Amma in Gampaha"

Thank you.

Best Regards
Shiva
+447845622680

Date: Tue, Jul 18, 2017 at 8:29 PM
Subject: Gamini "Chucker" Gunawardena - Trinity Royal Thomian Group
To:

Hi to the “OT’s” in this “mail out”!

Sorry to be sending out more “sad news” & not any “happy news” after my last email about “Sam the Man” - Nihal Samarasinghe’s passing last week.

Saw this “notification” on Facebook as “posted” by Trevor Mendis & I have “Copied & Pasted as is” in this email to send the “OT” Group in my “mail out”!

Attached is also a picture of Gamini “Chucker” Gunawardena. Those of you who were with him in College will not doubt recognize him in the attached picture. May he Rest in Eternal Peace.

Kind regards,

Corinne

PS: A little note from me!!

My Dad will be counting all these “OT’s” that keep coming up to Heaven and with a “red pen” poised in his hand, he will be continuing his “roll call” & taking great pleasure in “ticking” off the names of all “OT’s” on his list and saying - “Come on guys - let’s have fun - the College days are over - it is now one big STC OBA in Heaven”!!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gamini “Chucker” Gunawardena - Trinity Royal Thomian Group – Photo attached.

(15 Jul'17) ADIOS AMIGO, ADIOS OUR FRIEND Gamini (Chucker) Gunawardene - as the sad news reaches us across the shores that you, who EMBRACED LIFE in all its vigor & splendour, are no longer with us here on terra firma, I am certain that you're looking down on us and reading these messages with your trademark BROAD SMILE that offered an ARM OF SINCERE FRIENDSHIP TO EVERYONE who were fortunate to have associated you ... whilst many a eulogy will be written of you, all of them are sure to mention your GOLDEN HEART that you so unhesitatingly opened out to your friends (which sometimes ended you up in a spot of bother as well☺) ... I fondly recall how you jumped at the opportunity of meeting old friends FIRST, AS THEY LANDED AT HEATHROW and on one such occasion, driving in to the nearest McDonald's as YOU HAD MISSED YOUR OWN BREAKFAST rushing to pick me up .... FAREWELL OLE CHUM! May the angels sing you to a well earned rest. We will surely meet again, beyond the sunset where there's no more sorrow or pain, but ONLY JOY OF LIFE that YOU SO ABUNDANTLY SHARED with all of us ... our sincere condolences to your family as we join them in their time of mourning ... may YOUR SOUL RIP & RISE IN GLORY!!! ESTO PERPETUA!

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy S7 on the Telstra Mobile Network

Sent: Sunday, July 16, 2017 4:32 PM
To: DJ A
Subject: Obituary - Notice That Chucker Passed Away Early 15th Morning

Dear Classmates,

Most of you would have known Chucker Gamini Gunawardena (who was slightly Junior to us at STC) passed away yesterday morning after a brief illness.
According to our Classmate Siva (President of OTA UK) Chuker had Aneurysm of the brain.
He was a true son of college on his feet all day last week Sunday representing OTAUK at Festival of Cricket as the chief steward despite his illness.

I have been requested to inform you of his demise in the UK.

Kind regards,
DJ

Gamini Gunawardena

He had a good heart

I learnt with sadness that Gamini Gunawardena had passed away in London. Gamini was a distinguished old boy of St. Thomas’ College, Mount Lavinia. He was a larger-than-life character and had a great sense of humour—I always remember his stories and his hearty laugh. My earliest memories of Gamini were at St.

Thomas’ College, Mount Lavinia, near the Warden’s office where Gamini would ‘hold Court’ with his friends all around him! He was the life and soul of St. Thomas! He really loved his alma mater. I regret that I lost touch with Gamini during recent years.

Gamini’s father, Patrick Gunawardena, was a wonderful educationist, he was Sub-Warden at St. Thomas’ College when I was in school and we held him with the utmost respect.

He sent me a wonderful letter before he passed away. Gamini and I came up with an idea to honour him as he was such a powerful force for good in the field of education in Sri Lanka—he was so humble and unassuming, he had a heart for the vulnerable. So we organised the ‘Patrick Gunawardena Awards’ in the Palace of Westminster in the presence of Members of Parliament from the House of Commons, peers from the House of Lords and CEOs of British charities.

The awards created history when MP Linda Perham mentioned them in the chamber of the House of Commons in a debate—a huge honour remembering Patrick Gunawardena—Gamini was humbled by it.

Gamini was President of the Old Thomians Association in the United Kingdom in 2010. He raised funds for the College, organised dinner dances in London and was in the thick of it and he loved it! During his tenure as President, a cricket match was organised by Gamini and the Old Boys and the Oxford University Sri Lanka Society and the match was played at Oxford.

I must confess I had some fun with Gamini back in 1997. Gamini was in the Old Thomians cricket team and I used to tease him saying: “Gamini and his donkey drops!” Gamini was a really good spinner and back in 1997. I wrote an article about him routing the Old Royalists in the traditional Old Royalists vs Old Thomians match in London—it was published in the

Daily News in Sri Lanka—Gamini hit the headlines on the sports pages. On one side was the headline on Sanath Jayasuriya hitting 340 runs against India in Colombo and then the adjoining article was “Gamini Gunawardena sinks the Old Royalists!” He burst into laughter when he saw my article which was also reproduced in the Old Thomians Magazine in the U.K.

I will always remember something deeply illuminating about Gamini. He really had a good heart. When he heard that my father Vernon Corea had died in September, 2002, he was one of the first to arrive at my sister’s home in New Malden. The funeral service was held at Emmanuel Church in Wimbledon Village—Gamini had gathered together a group of Old Thomians to attend the funeral—out of the kindness of his heart.

He had organized the ushers, made sure the food was on the tables at the church and oversaw the pall bearers at the funeral. He was capable of such kindness and compassion—he wanted to support his friend in his hour of need.

Gamini had a deep and abiding faith in God. We had some deep conversations at times and he even went with me to a Benny Hinn Crusade held at the Excel Centre in London Docklands, many years ago, as he was interested in the area of healing.

His remains will be flown back to Colombo and to his roots in Gampaha. I know that Old Thomians will be there to remember Gamini. May his soul Rest In Peace, in the arms of Jesus.

Ivan Corea
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FB_IMG_1500301379693.jpg (18.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg unnamed (1).jpg (177.3 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by sriyanj; 27-07-17 at 10:41 AM.
Old 27-07-17, 11:15 AM
Charter Member

Default Gamini "Chucker" Gunawardena

GUNAWARDENA - GAMINI (CHUCKER). At rest with Jesus. Dearly beloved son of late Mr Patrick Gunawardena (Sub-Warden St. Thomas’ College,​ Mt. Lavinia) and of Mrs Phoebe Gunawardena,​ husband of Sue (U.K.),​ brother of Patricia (U.K.),​ Dilini (Canada),​ uncle of Imara,​ Prasanna and Bradley (Canada),​ grand uncle of Cassius,​ Atticus,​ Sachin and Dilan (Canada). Cortege leaves ‘Sriyani’,​ Asgiriya,​ Gampaha at 3.30 p.m. for burial at Church of St. John the Baptist,​ Gampaha on Friday 28th July,​ 2017.091779

GUNAWARDENA - GAMINI. (UK). Beloved son of late Mr Patrick Gunawardena & Mrs Phoebe Gunawardena,​ husband of Suhashini (UK),​ brother of Patricia (UK),​ Dilini (Canada),​ uncle of Imara (Canada),​ Prasanna (Canada),​ Bradley (Canada),​ expired. Funeral will take place at St. John The Baptist Church,​ Gampaha. Cortege will leave residence ‘Sriyani’ Asgiriya,​ Gampaha at 4.00 p.m. on Friday 28th July.091767

The one & only Authentic "Chucker",
captured in his inimitable style!

EXPLAINING TO THE WARDEN....YET AGAIN!
RIP OLD CHUM

In Memoriam : Gamini "Chucker" Gunawardena

In Memorium : Gamini "Chucker" Gunawardena - Sat 22nd July 2017, Edgware, UK (2)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CHUCKER 3.jpg (76.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (351.3 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 002.jpg (303.3 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 003.jpg (314.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 004.jpg (460.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 005.jpg (272.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-20170723-WA0003.jpg (159.9 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-20170723-WA0004.jpg (294.0 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by sriyanj; 27-07-17 at 11:29 AM.