Go Back   S. Thomas' College Old Boys' Forum > Obituaries

Obituaries Funeral notices and appreciations

Old 11-10-17, 12:24 AM
Charter Member

Default The wife of sangabo corea

Date: Tue, Oct 10, 2017 at 6:21 PM
Subject: sad news
To:

SAD NEWS THAT THE WIFE OF OUR DEAR FRIEND SANGABO COREA PASSED AWAY. FUNERAL ARRANGEMENTS WILL BE KNOWN LATER.

Obituary: Flora Corea - Funeral on Fri, 13/10/2017

The death occurred on 10/10/2017, of Flora Corea (Nee William), devoted wife of Sri Sangabo Corea, a Past President and active committee member of the ECFU. She was the loving mother of Ramani, Dilhani, Sharm and Sanjeeva.

Her mortal remains will lie at A. F. Raymond Funeral Parlour from 10am on Thursday, 12/10/2017 for the paying of respect.

A Service of Thanksgiving for her life will be held at the funeral parlour at 3pm on Friday, 13/10/2017, after which the cortege will leave for the burial at Jawatte Cemetery at 4pm.

God has her in His keeping; I have her in my heart
I met her when we were in our teens representing our schools at a national schools drill display at the Reid Avenue Race Course, I remember the anxious moments I went through not knowing what I should be talking about when I was totally unprepared for such a meeting. Years later when we were talking on the phone she was reprimanded by the family for talking to a boy and from then onwards there followed numerous restrictions on her freedom. When we were confronted with strong opposition she stood by me and swore that she never would allow anyone to come between us. Despite the disparity in our family backgrounds; she, coming from a business background and a Colombo 7 upbringing and I, from a professional background and a traditional Chilaw Corea upbringing, apart from our different religious faiths must have contributed to her family’s obsession. While she anticipated stiff opposition from her side, as for me, I knew that Flora had the charm that would click with my parents. On my part I gave her the assurance that I would not in any way be instrumental in bringing unpleasantness or any form of hostility between father and daughter hoping that when it came to the crunch, differences could be ironed out. This unfortunately did not materialize during his lifetime.
When the opposition continued she stood by me fired by a steadfast devotion, never flinched, worried or despaired. The courage and determination she showed in the face of almost insuperable odds is something I admired and will never ever forget. We cancelled a hotel booking for a wedding reception and an order for jewellery which had been made without her consent and took the decision to get married by special licence.
My ambition was to be a lawyer like my father with some additional accomplishments which doubtless would have been a pleasant surprise to him. With the situation going from bad to worse on Flora’s side I had no option but to abandon my plans and take the only course of action that seemed plausible. We got married by special licence, had lunch and dropped her in school agreeing to come the next day and drive off with her personal belongings.
What followed was an unexpected drama. When all the doors and windows were closed she climbed the window sill in her upstairs bedroom and jumped to the ground with the marriage licence in hand. Fortunately, she landed on the garden dustbin which broke her fall. Armed with the marriage licence there was nothing anybody could do to prevent her from joining her legitimate husband. When she finally left the house my cousin suggested that she be shown to a doctor which we did at 1.40 in the morning. With no visible external injuries the doctor who was a family friend wanted to see an X-ray first thing in the morning joking that if Flora had cleared such a height in the Olympic Games she would definitely have won a gold medal for herself!
I next changed my original plans, joined a leading multi-national company, enjoyed working and excelled in my job. Together, Flora and I started putting our plans into operation. I bought the wedding rings with my very first salary and until we were able to furnish our three-roomed house with genuine furniture used strong wooden boxes padded and draped with elegantly pleated skirtings to serve as drawing room furniture without anyone knowing what was concealed underneath.
The family we had planned for was complete with the addition of four lovely children – Ramani, Dilhani, Sharmini and Sanjeeva adding immeasurable value to our lives!
Flora, has gone leaving a void which cannot be filled and I am just picking up the bits and pieces of a shattered life and putting them together capturing the unforgettable incidents that gave meaning and purpose to our life. She was a rare human being with sterling qualities, always caring for others and making them feel loved and wanted. The many nice things that are being said by those who knew her are a testimony of the lovely person she was!

God has her in His keeping;
I have her in my heart.

Sri Sangabo Corea
Attached Images
File Type: jpg z_p52-Flora.jpg (32.4 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by sriyanj; 06-11-17 at 11:02 AM.