S. Thomas' College Old Boys' Forum  

Go Back   S. Thomas' College Old Boys' Forum > Obituaries

Obituaries Funeral notices and appreciations

Old 16-04-18, 11:49 AM
Charter Member

Default Sad news - Tissa Molligoda Passed away

To. The STC Prefects Group,

It is with great sadness we note the passing away of Tissa Molligoda. He worked for John Kelles Ltd, and retired as a main board Director. Served as a member of the Board of Governors, of S. Thomas. College, Mt Lavinia. He was the honorary Secretary of the College OBA in 1992-1994.
At College he was a School Prefect and represented the school in several sports and won colours. Was a committee member of the Senior Literary and Debating Society.
In 2013 he was the Chief Guest at the annual Prefects dinner. Photo taken at this dinner is attached.

May he attain the supreme bliss of Nirvana.

Our deepest sympathies go out to the members of the bereaved family.

With kind regards,

Sriyan
on behalf of The STC Prefects Group,

MOLLIGODA - RAJA TISSA (Director of John Keells (Retd.),​ Director of Mahaweli Reach Hotel Kandy and former Member of the Board of Governors’ of St. Thomas’ College,​ Mt Lavinia). Beloved husband of Sujatha Bulankulame Molligoda,​ loving father of Hiran,​ Asitha,​ Ruwani,​ and Devinda,​ loving father-in-law of Nalaka Ratwatte,​ Shalini and Nilukshi Molligoda,​ precious grandfather of Chenukshi,​ Chenuka,​ Tahindri,​ Sanaka,​ Asini,​ Kusala,​ Vinathi,​ Anuki,​ Rashmika,​ Hirendra and Devmika,​ loving brother of late Sonny,​ Eddie,​ Gladys (Sitha),​ Ratnasekera,​ Artie,​ Henry,​ Mahinda Kehelpannala,​ Udeni and Nimal Molligoda,​ expired. Remains lie at “Restpect Home” by Jayaratne,​ 483,​ Bauddhaloka Mawatha,​ Colombo 08. Cremation is on Wednesday,​ 18th April 2018 at General Cemetery,​ Borella at 5.30 p.m

To: Old Boys' Centenary Group <stcobcg@gmail.com>
Cc: Eddie Appathurai <eddie_appathurai@yahoo.com>; Hiran Molligoda <hirandmolli@gmail.com>
Sent: Monday, 16 April 2018, 13:51:39 GMT+5:30
Subject: Funeral details for Late Tissa Milligoda

The remains would lie at
'The Respect'
Jayaratne Funeral Parlour
483,​ Bauddhaloka Mw
Borella
From 11.30am on Tuesday 17th April
Final Rites at 5.00pm on Wednesday 18th April
at the General Cemetery,
Kanatte

I have copied this to his son Hiran Molligoda whose email is
hirandmolli@gmail.com
Tel: 94 - 077 766 6835

Home address
55, Swarna Road
Colombo 06

Tel; 94 11 258 6643

Sent: Sunday, 15 April 2018, 19:49
Subject: Sad news - Tissa Molligoda Passed away

Dear Members of the CG
Further my previous mail the warden informed me that he was out of Colombo but rushed to the Asiri Central Hospital only to be informed by Hiran that his father Tissa had passed away.

Funeral arrangements will be notified later.

Probably Tissa's last Thomian event was attending our last AGM and dinner on 3rd March at the Mount Berjaya.
Attached are a few pictures of another true and loyal Thomian

May his soul rest in peace

Eddie Appathurai
Hon. Secretary

--------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, Apr 15, 2018 at 12:28 PM
Subject: Tissa Molligoda in ICU at Asiri Central Hospital
Cc: Tissa Molligoda <hirandmolli@gmail.com>

Dear Members
I just received news that Mr. Tissa Molligoda had had a bad fall 2 days ago and bashed his head causing internal hemorrage.

His son Hiran informs me that Tissa in in the ICU at Asiri Central but no visitors are allowed as he is said to be unconscious.

Hiran's contact number is 077 766 6835

Please pray for his speedy recovery
Eddie Appathurai
Hon. Secretary

Date: Mon, Apr 16, 2018 at 5:15 AM
Subject: Fwd: Sad news - Tissa Molligoda Passed away
To:

FYI

Very sad news indeed.
He was the BIL of our batch mate Kirthi Bulankulame .
He was not the planter BIL, that was Ryan Ratwatte who passed away I think in 1975. Tissa, from memory, worked at John Keells. Brilliant hockey player. He used to come quite often with Bulang’s sister to see KB, had a black VW with hoodracks.

Regards,
Jeremy

Second photo, left to right -B R L Fernando (standing) Tissa Molligoda, Dr. Nihal de Silva (AGN - Miller), Tommy Elawella, Ranjith Dias, Malcolm Pieris.
First photo -Merill Aluwihare, Dias Abysinghe, Nihal Tudugala speaking to B R L Fernando( standing), Tissa Molligoda, Lucky Siriwardena (standing) Tommy Elawella, Ranjith Dias, Malcolm Pieris.
School Prefects photo.
Photo taken at the Prefects dinner.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg unnamed (3).jpg (141.6 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg unnamed (4).jpg (361.6 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 20171105_103850-1.jpg (295.4 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg tm2.jpg (31.4 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by sriyanj; 19-04-18 at 11:51 PM.
Old 19-04-18, 11:41 PM
Charter Member

Default Raja Tissa Molligoda

Fellow Old Thomians!

AN APPRECIATION.

Raja Tissa Molligoda

It is with the greatest of sadness that I heard the news of the demise of my great friend Tissa Molligoda.

We met at "Winchester House" as fellow boarders when we were enrolled for the first time, to be students at S.Thomas' College Mount Lavinia in 1947! Our respective Mothers had schooled together and known each other previously, and our association and friendship, simply 'sparked off' from there!

Tissa was always a kind and considerate man - a supreme example of being a gentleman to a T! Tissa and his charming wife, Sujatha visited my family, when they spent time with their daughter, in England. It was always such a joy to see them!

Here was a man, to whom envy, jealousy and avarice never entered the 'portals' of his life.

He was always a delightful man with a striking personality, and had a keen sense of humour!

In the field of sports, he was an excellent all-rounder, to do so well in Hockey and Fives.
We parted company when he left school to join the Mercantile sector but continued to keep
touch.

Tissa hailed from a traditional Buddhist family and passionately upheld the highest values of life. A great family man and a devout Buddhist, he had impeccable manners and always spoke well of others. He was a firm believer that you "command respect, and never demand it. "

In this impermanent world, I wish you well in your journey in Sansara!

I have truly lost a dear friend!

"Thousands of candles can be lit from a single candle,
and the life of the candle will not be shortened.
Happiness never decreases by being shared". Sidarth Gautama.

from Dr. Ranjith Dambawinna

Essex. England.

Date: Thu, Apr 19, 2018 at 11:10 AM
Subject: Re: An Appreciation- R.Tissa Mollgoda.
To:

I went to the funeral. I was pleased that I did. The family were so appreciative that we 'remember' Tissa with appreciation and hold him in high esteem. I met with Sujatha and also her brother Gamini, and I was quite surprised that they both knew that I was a classmate with Keerthi Bulankulame!!!

In fact, Tissa died of an aneurism in his brain stem. That was the reason he had fallen. But, it was not the fall that had caused the rapid hemorrhage in his cranium. The aneurism had already exploded the artery within the head, and he had fallen unconscious. As some present opined, it was a painless death, and therefore we have reason to be pleased that he did not suffer agonies. Tissa was 81.

Although he was much older than I, when he was Secy of the OBA, he hired my services as an emcee for a fund raiser for College, and I remember that he treated me with such 'respect' and courtesy, and was always mannerly and concerned for my well being and welfare. As they say, he was 'such a decent bloke'. Such are now fewer among our community, in this rash and angry age.

Arun

Date: Thu, Apr 19, 2018 at 11:32 AM
Subject: Re: An Appreciation- R.Tissa Mollgoda.
To:

Thanks Arun,
Good on you for having attended and also appreciate you filling us in on all factual matters relating to his passing. Did not realise he was that old, had put him at around 75/76.
Cannot remember Bulang having a brother called Gamini, know of Mahinda(deceased) and Rahula who were both with my brother Kenny in Miller-Chapman.
Looks to have been a gentleman to the core, an endangered species, in these times of travail, as you say.
Good to hear from you after some time, though in sad circumstances.
May touch base with you later this year, God willing.
Our best to you and Julian.
Regards,
Jeremy
Old 19-04-18, 11:59 PM
Charter Member

Default At the funeral of a Loyal Old Thomian today 18th April

To:
Cc: Hiran Molligoda <hirandmolli@gmail.com>
Sent: Wednesday, 18 April 2018, 20:44
Subject: At the funeral of a Loyal Old Thomian today 18th April

In spite of the heavy rains a large crowd attended the funeral of Tissa Molligoda this evening.
Tributes were paid by the family, the CR&FC and Mr. Tommy Ellawela on behalf of the OBA and the Centenary Group.

A few pictures are attached below.

May his soul rest in peace

Eddie Appathurai
Hon. Secretary
Centenary Group
Attached Images
File Type: jpg T M 1.jpg (33.5 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg TM2a.jpg (31.1 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg TM3.jpg (40.1 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg TM4.jpg (34.8 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg TM5.jpg (25.5 KB, 1 views)