S. Thomas' College Old Boys' Forum  

Go Back   S. Thomas' College Old Boys' Forum > Obituaries

Obituaries Funeral notices and appreciations

Old 15-07-09, 11:02 PM
Charter Member

Default Bodhi Pooja in memory of D S Jayasekera.

My Dear D.R.,

Many thanks for the photos and the e-mail copies. I collected same from Kari last evening. I spoke to Hiran a few days back, I think I last met him at Kamal Weerapperumas fathers funeral. I am indeed honoured and prouder after reading about what you and your friends have done in my fathers memory. If he was able to see what you have done he would have lived a few more years.
I am extremely grateful to you for having organised this Bodhi Pooja along with Chico Gunaratne, Prasaad Jinasena and others. Please also thank all those who participated and helped you to make it a big success.The slogan you have put out "TO OUR SECOND PARENTS WHO HAVE GIDED OUR DESTINIES" has deeply touched my heart. This type of great acts showing gratitude to old teachers reflects the image of a person. Even Lord Buddha has praised such deeds.Incidentally the day you have chosen for the event happened to be his eighty sixth Birthday. On this day family members too had a Bodhi Pooja and handed out lunch packets to poor people.I will preserve and exhibit the photos and the documents at his country residence.I was very pleased to learn that Mr. B.D.Jayasinha and Mr. G.Thambithurai was there,they were my fathers great friends.I still recall how Mr. Thambithurai used to encourage us in discharging our duties as Prefects. As per Mr. Jayasinha, he was my house master and he is totally responsible for moulding a raw village lad to be the Head Prefect of the school. Like how Y.S. had mentioned about my father,similarly I too learned from Mr Jayasinha responsibility,accountability and organising an event. These type of teachers are very scares these days and we are a privileged lot to have studied under them.
With regard to Ajith's letter I was bit disappointed with the 'gossip' that was going round. More than five hundred old Thomians paid their last respects to my father.In addition I received over one hundred and forty letters,sympathy cards and telegrams. I still continue to receive condolences form Thomians Who have missed the funeral. This is not all, I received about thirty telephone calls form Thomians including the three W's ( D.R., W.M. & D.K.) In view of the above, one cannot come to the conclusion that Thomians have not respected their old teacher in a appropriate way.Of course there were times, when there were less than ten Thomians present at the funeral house. At the cemetery some Thomians who has just head about the funeral and rushed to the seen was voilent that prominence was not given to a long standing teacher whereas O.B.A. Secretary who died earlier was given lot of coverage by the press.By the way I will pass on to you some of the appreciations that appeared in the press and by going through same you will realise what a great teacher he was.
D,R. to be absolutely Frank until I went through Ajith's letter it was not registered in my mind that Our beloved Warden and Sub Warden was not at the cemetery however I clearly remember speaking to them at home.We will close this episode from hear as otherwise we will be dis greasing a great teacher. As Kotte quite writely pointed out we will leave the O.B.A. out from this and will not question their actions.Trucks of the matter is you cannot force anyone to show gratitude to a teacher it has to come from the bottom of your heart.
Before I wind up, let me convey to you and your friends our deepest appreciation on behalf of our extended family for organising this meritorious event.
With kind regards
Sriyan
Old 01-01-17, 05:58 PM
Charter Member

JAYASEKERA - D.S. (Former Head Master, S. Thomas' College, Mt.Lavinia) - Beloved husband of Srima, darling father of Sriyan, Priyanthi and Nalin, loving father-in-law of Shyamali, Kirthi and Noriko, precious grandfather of Dhanusha, Thilini, Minuri, Sumudu, Manu and Ranudi, expired. Cortege leaves residence on Thursday the 3rd August at 3.30 p.m. for cremation at General Cemetery, Borella at 5.00 p.m. 14/1, Vidyala Road, Mount Lavinia.

D. S. Jayasekera
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
D S Jayasekera
Born Sri Lanka
Nationality Sri Lanka Sri Lankan
Occupation Head Master and School Teacher
Known for Promoting the Teaching of Sinhala, Sinhala Literature and Sinhala Drama
David S Jayasekera Head Master and Sinhala teacher at S. Thomas' College, Mt Lavinia.

Jayasekera was born in Dompe and educated at St. Joseph's College, Colombo. He completed S. S. C. and the London Matriculation Examination and entered the University of Colombo to gain a Diploma in Education. Jayasekara started his teaching career at St. Joseph,s College moving to S Thomas' College in 1947.[1]

Mr. Jayasekera’s career at S. Thomas' College, Mt Lavinia lasted 48 years from 1947 to 1995. He taught Sinhala, Buddhism and History. As a Sinhala teacher he was a considered to have been at the forefront of the post independence renaissance in teaching of the Sinhala language and literary activities with the assistance of Arisen Ahubudu, Sandadas Coperehewa and GL Jinadasa.

He was master in charge of the Sinhala Literary Society, Music Society, the Sinhala Drama Society, the Sinhala Debating team and the General knowledge quiz team at S.Thomas’ College. Members of the teams included Prof. A.P. De Silva, Dr. B.L.J. Mendis, N.M. Don Mohanlal, Prof. G. L. Peiris, H.K. Caldera, Rohan Perera, Palitha Kohona.[2] He was also a patron of the Buddhist Society of the college. Gamini Fonseka and Richard de Zoysa were introduced to acting through stage plays produced by Mr. Jayasekera at S.Thomas’ College.[3] Marcandan in a letter to a newspaper refers to R. D. Gunaratne, Uthum Herat, Russell de Mel, Duleep Goonewardena and Devaka Fernando as students who would have made Mr Jayasekera proud [4] He ran the school stationery store referred to as the 'book cupboard' which he ran with the assistance of students among whom were Kesaralal Gunasekara (later a member of Parliament and deputy Mayor of Dehiwala Mt Lavinia).[2][5]

He was Master in charge of De Saram House and later served as Head Master of the lower school. Rajiva Wijesinha comments on his efficiency as an administrator.[6]

References[edit]
Jump up ^ "Appreciation D. S. Jayasekara Sunday Leader 1st October, 2006 Volume 13, Issue 12". www.thesundayleader.lk. Retrieved 2011-12-25.
^ Jump up to: a b "A Fine Gentleman Rohith Perera Sunday Leader Sep 10 2006". tyretracks.com. Retrieved 2011-12-25.
Jump up ^ "D. S. Jayasekera -- the consummate educator The Chief Editor, Sunday Observer". tyretracks.com. 6 August 2006. Retrieved 2011-12-25.
Jump up ^ "D.S.Jayasekera-Unassuming in disposition, he walked tall.Daily Mirror, 24 th August 2006". tyretracks.com. Retrieved 2011-07-15.
Jump up ^ "A lesson I reckon S V D Kesarralal Gunasekera The Nation 5/11/2006". tyretracks.com. Retrieved 2011-12-25.
Jump up ^ [1] How school should be remembered Sunday Observer Sunday, 5 June 2011 , accessed 26 December 2011
Categories: Alumni of St. Joseph's College, ColomboSri Lankan educators,People associated with S. Thomas' College, Mount Lavinia

Former STC headmaster dies
Former Head Master and teacher of S.Thomas’ College ,Mount Lavinia, D.S.Jayasekera passed away on Tuesday August 1, at the ripe old age of 86 and the funeral took place at the General Cemetery, Kanatte on Thursday August 3.
Mr. Jayasekera’s distinguished career at S. Thomas’ College ,Mount Lavinia spanned for 48 years from 1947 to 1995. As a Sinhala teacher he taught several generations of Thomians and was instrumental in the revival of the Sinhala language and literary activities within the college with the assistance of Arisen Ahubudu, Sandadas Koparahewa and Jinadasa. He pioneered the Sinhala Literary Society and the Sinhala Drama Society at S.Thomas’ College that produced several stage plays and Sinhala literary magazines.
Gamini Fonseka who is considered as the immortal star of the Sinhala Cinema has acknowledged that he was introduced to acting through stage plays produced by Mr. Jayasekera at S.Thomas’ College. He was also a patron of the Buddhist Society of the college for a long time.
Hailing from Dompe and a product of St. Joseph’s College, Colombo, D.S. Jayasekera was a dedicated teacher and a strict disciplinarian. The funeral of Mr. Jayasekera took place amidst a large gathering of Thomians both young and old who had passed through the gates of the school by the sea for over four decades.

http://www.nation.lk/2006/08/06/news9.htm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg former.jpg (26.0 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by sriyanj; 01-01-17 at 06:01 PM.