S. Thomas' College Old Boys' Forum  

Go Back   S. Thomas' College Old Boys' Forum > Obituaries

Obituaries Funeral notices and appreciations

Old 15-04-17, 01:27 AM
Charter Member

Default Dr. Clair Peiris, SON OF OUR HEADMASTER

To The STC DSA Era Group,

It is with sadness we note the passing away of Dr Clair Peiris.
He was the son of our former Lower School Head Master, Mr J H S Peiris.
Brothers Rex, Lester, Aubrey, Elroy, Ronnie and Doyle were all Thomians.
Wardens secretary, Ms Nelun Wijesinghe is a daughter.

May the good doctor rest in peace.

PEIRIS – Dr. Clair, beloved husband of Marlene, and the late Manel, loving father of Nelun and Wijith, Subo and Michael, Sheva and Royen, Solangie and Mano; grandfather of Wishanth, Shanil and Aaron, Anushka, Kanishka, Pradeesh and Maneesh. Brother of Rex, Lester, Aubrey, Elroy, Ronnie and Doyle. Remains will lie at A. F. Raymonds Funeral Parlour from 0930 hrs onwards on 14th April.Service on 15th April at 1500 hrs and thereafter for Cremation at the General Cemetery Kanatte at 1615 hrs. Safe in the arms of Jesus.

From: Dulsri Weerasinghe [mailto:drweerasinghe@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, April 14, 2017 12:52 AM
To: oba Secretary; President STC OBA
Subject: SON OF OUR HEADMASTER Dr. Clair Peiris

Hi
This is son of Mr Peris - our former Headmaster.
Please post it on the website

Tks
DR

PEIRIS – Dr. Clair, beloved husband of Marlene, and the late Manel, loving father of Nelun and Wijith, Subo and Michael, Sheva and Royen, Solangie and Mano; grandfather of Wishanth, Shanil and Aaron, Anushka, Kanishka, Pradeesh and Maneesh. Brother of Rex, Lester, Aubrey, Elroy, Ronnie and Doyle. Remains will lie at A. F. Raymonds Funeral Parlour from 0930 hrs onwards on 14th April.Service on 15th April at 1500 hrs and thereafter for Cremation at the General Cemetery Kanatte at 1615 hrs. Safe in the arms of Jesus.

Dr. Clair Peiris:
50 years of professional fulfillment and still going strong

by Steve A. Morrell

It sort of welded into his professionalism and standing: 50 years of dedicated service as a medical doctor, a practicing professional and a simple, modest and affable personality.

That we should meet Dr. Clair Peiris in more convivial surroundings, with his wife Marlene, and a picture gallery of his children, all residents in Australia, was just right and appropriate. Appropriate because that atmosphere of ‘home’ lent itself to camaraderie and informality and a relaxed scene to chat. And, that was exactly what happened.

Dr. Peiris is an outstanding personality who endeared himself to all at Upali Group, and could now be described an icon within our premises.

"What was it like when you realized you had made it into the profession?", The Sunday Island asked the good doctor.

"Elation; naturally", he beamed. "But, then it also gave me that strange sensation, could I really put all that theory I learnt to effective practice? That was frightening. I suppose most of us think that way. I did. Could I really save somebody? I am a doctor. And to save lives is my job".

"True we had to go through that first year as Interns and we always had somebody ‘looking over our shoulder’ not to interfere as such, but sort of watch out for you. But that first patient sitting there waiting to be treated, it was awesome. To me it was", Dr. Peiris, affectionately dubbed ‘Our Doctor’ recalled.

"I was posted to the Panadura Hospital. Not a single-person place as there were quite a few more young doctors there. Thankfully, I did not cause sensation taking any wrong decisions but progressed till I gained confidence in what I could do", he recounted.

"Yes, there were many crucial cases where decisions had to be made. Still in Panadura, one particular case comes to mind. Blood transfusion to a pregnant woman. You had to go through frustrating paper work to get blood from the Blood Bank, but because of the emergency, I broke some of those rules. You know Government ARs and FRs, and got my requirement of blood and saved that woman’s life", Dr. Peiris said.

"The DMO, not too pleased, said if something went wrong I will be held responsible. Cannot remember now its sequence, but that was what it was in those days"

Who was the most difficult person I worked with? "Straight off I would say Professor Ranasinghe. If you’d wish him ‘Good morning, Sir’ he would come back with this classic reply, ‘Is it?’ Or ‘What’s so good about it?’ and you would be lost what to say next.

"As Interns we were still being tutored. Professor Ranasinghe walking those corridors meant he had right of way and undisputed passage of the sage of medicine, as we knew it to be. We just stepped out of the corridor and let him pass. He carried that degree of clout", he recalled with a smile.

‘The professor did not really take to bright answers when we were questioned or followed him on his rounds. Whenever my batch mates did give those bright answers he always had a pithy remark which virtually shut them down. I caught on and came up with something inaccurate. He liked that. It probably gave him that degree of elation that he could still shut down a bright spark"

"Probably, the most unforgettable character I have met professionally. But long after Prof. Ranasinghe, the most outstanding person I worked with was Dr. Granville Wijesekera. He was in Galle. He was an all- rounder. Fine professional, excellent sportsman, good party-goer, and perhaps set the example being a complete personality. And a real professor. Quite in line with my demeanor", Dr. Peiris noted.

"I am also a keen social being. Love to enjoy social life. An evening with friends, that sort of thing as often as possible with the family. My wife is a descendent of traditional good humour and that family trait helps a great deal to relax".

After probably 13 years in government service I applied to the River Valleys Development Board (RVDB), and was posted to Ampara. "We had to fly into Colombo in one of those noisy Dakota", said Ms. Marlene Peiris. The RVDB provided the air transport. No in-flight service or any of those luxuries. Just the noisy engine flying over some rugged country, smoke fumes, all that".

"Those RVDB days also meant we could come to Colombo to watch a rugger match and fly back. Yes, back in those noisy Dakota aircraft which took about 45 minutes. Our lungs must have filled with flight fumes

We are still alive. It was an experience", Dr. Peiris noted.

Would I go through it again?, After a pause, he replied, "Yes maybe, maybe not, but the experience was quite unique. Unforgettable. That’s why we still talk about those days".

"We were in Australia last year celebrating my 73 rd birthday. Our daughters and their families invited us. That was really first class. Naturally, we enjoyed our stay with the grandchildren and all".

"How is you work at Upali Group? "Could not hope for anything better", the affable doctor beamed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg unnamed.jpg (15.6 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by sriyanj; 16-04-17 at 11:10 PM.