Go Back   S. Thomas' College Old Boys' Forum > Stories of Teachers

Old 01-02-15, 11:08 AM
Charter Member

Default Mail from Ramindri, daughter of Mr.G.K. Mandawala

Date: Sun, Feb 1, 2015 at 11:09 AM
Subject: Mr. G. K. Mandawala
Cc: Renuke Amerasekera<renuke1@gmail.com>

Hi everyone,
I hope this email finds you and your families all keeping well. I am Ramindri, daughter of Mr. Mandawala. It has been a long time since I have been in touch with you. I located this email trail to write to all of you let you know that our much loved dad is quite unwell and in critical condition at present.
I will not go into more details but thought that I would share this information with you as I'm sure he would want his much loved boys to pray for him at this time. The family is currently with dad in Colombo while we are trying to do whatever possible to make dad comfortable.
If anyone would like to visit dad in hospital I am contactable on 0779877797. If you are based in Australia, you can also contact my husband Renuke who is in Sydney on 0448 046 403 who I have also copied in this email if you need any further information.
Can I please request you to pass this on to any other old boys who have been close to dad and may want to be informed.
Many thanks in advance.
Regards,
Ramindri

Sent from my iPhone

On 14 Nov 2009, at 10:12 am, Sriyan Jayasekera <sriyanj@gmail.com> wrote:

Good day Gentlemen,

THE GREAT LIEUTENANT AFTER DUTUGAMUNU HAVE LANDED IN SYDNEY.WHEN YOU GO TO SEE THERE IS NO WERE IN THE WORLD A CADET MASTER HAS TRAINED MERE SCHOOL BOYS TO TAKE UP THE POSTS OF TWO ARMY COMMANDERS, AIR FORCE COMMANDER AND CHIEF OF DEFENCE, COMMANDANT OF THE DEFENSE ACADEMY( THAT DARK TAN FROM BISHOPS) I ALMOST FORGOT OUR OWN KALASOORI RODE TO FAME BY GIVING THIS CHAP A NICK NAME WHICH IS RECORDED EVERY WHERE IN PUSKOLA POTH.

With regard to Suraj Jayawickrama(RSVM), it was revealed by Rajan Saravanamuttu that a Brigadier of the Indian Army offered an appointment to Suraj after seen his masterly display at the Republic Day Celebrations when in fact he was rejected by the Sri Lanka Army due to insufficient amount of credit passes at the O/L exam.

Gentlemen, to organise your Utharmarchariya to this Great General you could contact the daughter on
e-mail "Ramindri Amarasekera" <ramindri@gmail.com>,
to get a free date.

Boys remember we poor blocks in Colombo had a grand felicitation for our teachers hope you go one step further.

Best regards
Sriyan.

On 11/12/09, Sansoni, David <David.Sansoni@hlag.com> wrote:

G'day GY!!

I say! True story??
Have to get RSM (SDJ) and CQMS (WMM) on the case. Milroy and Massa - over and out!
Good news!
I wonder if he'd approve of the little sponges we use to shine our shoes...when we remember!!!
All the best.
David

Sent: Thursday, November 12, 2009 10:13 PM
To: 'Sriyan Jayasekera'; 'Tyrone Graham'; 'milroy berenger'; Jeremy Hillman; Lecamwasam, Deepal (CNAHS-RAH); 'Hiran Cooray'; 'Noel Jansz'
Cc: 'David Sansoni'; Sansoni, David
Subject: RE: : Fond memories, alarums and excursions

Now boys you must be careful & in your best behavior.
He is coming your way to see that you all are behaving well, whether you are doing your ‘prep’ well, etc….
Tok, Tok, Tok, Tok…….the noise of those toe capped shinning black shoes with tips on its soles………
Those Cadets who have not reported for cadetting ……beware!!!!!
Mandawala is heading for Sydney…….. Milroy he has packed his best cane……..
Warm Regards,

GY
Old 01-02-15, 03:31 PM
Charter Member

Default Mr. G. K. Mandawala

Date: Sun, Feb 1, 2015 at 3:08 PM
Subject: Re: Mr. G. K. Mandawala

Hi Ramindri
Thanks for your email informing us of your dad our Teacher Mr Mandawala.
I spoke to your husband Renuke this afternoon and he gave me the sad news of Dad who is in Asiri Hospital in Colombo-I just got back home and usual the Thomian network via Sriyan and Milroy have already initiated the sad news of our dear Teacher Mr Mandawala.
I was fortunate to meet him in August at the rugby dinner-thanks to Sriyan
Understanding , the situation as explained by Renuke our prayers are with you and the family.

Regards
Graham

Date: Sun, Feb 1, 2015 at 3:40 PM
Subject: Re: Mr. G. K. Mandawala

Many of us were privileged to meet our revered teacher and disciplinarian at the last Rugby dinner last August .
Let us wish our beloved Sir , a speedy recovery and choicest blessings .
Gamini Fonseka , Jayasena Ellawela , Nihal Jayasinghe ( pappa ) , N T Perera , Jagathsena and my uncle who have all passed away , were class mates and great buddies of Sir at STC and thereafter .
Mr Mandawela hailed from Dodanduwa , in close proximity to my native village Baddegama in the Galle District .
Esto Perpetua +

Date: Sun, Feb 1, 2015 at 8:02 PM
Subject: Our Prayers

Hi Ramindri,

I am sorry to hear that your Dad is not doing well, please let him know that “dk” ( weerasinghe) wrote in wishing him the very best and will be in my prayers as always. I owe him very much. I am not sure if you can remember me, I have been to your place many times, mostly for getting guidance / advice of your Dad. My Character / Personality / Integrity was molded at STC by folks like your Dad and that is what makes me who I am now. To this my eternal gratefulness to your Dad. He is in our Prayers. Take Care dk

Date: Sun, Feb 1, 2015 at 2:50 PM
Subject: Re:

Dear Ramindri,

Sorry to hear that your Dad is very sick. I was a Cadet at STC when he was our Cadet Master.

I pray for his speedy recovery.

Warm Regards,

GY

Air Vice Marshal (Retd) G.Y de Silva

Date: Sun, Feb 1, 2015 at 3:02 PM

To Sir With Love +++

Date: Sun, Feb 1, 2015 at 6:20 PM
Subject: Re: Fwd:Mr Mandawela

It is with great sadness that I heard of Mr Mandawela' poor health condition. His contribution to St Thomas will be remembered with great affecting by generations of students. We all hope that he will get better.
Palitha Kohona

Date: Sun, Feb 1, 2015 at 9:18 PM
Subject: Re: Fwd:

Good day STC friends,
May God grant ease and health to our teacher and disciplinarian GKM. I remember the steely sound "tock, tock" of his shiny shoes as he walked the hall during prep time making sure we do the home work in strict silence.
Farouki
USA

Sent from my iPhone

Date: Mon, Feb 2, 2015 at 2:26 AM

Dear Ramindri... My name is Shirley Wijesinha.. and I live in Miami Florida... I was in School when your dad was my cadet master and I remember him with much fondness... I am sorry to hear that he is unwell and our thoughts and prayers re with you all and we pray for a quick recovery ..
Shirley Wijesinha

Last edited by sriyanj; 02-02-15 at 10:27 AM.
Old 01-02-15, 10:47 PM
Charter Member

Default Passing away of Mr G K Mandawala.

Date: Sun, Feb 1, 2015 at 4:24 PM
Subject: Late Mr Mandawala

Hi everyone,
It is with the deepest sadness that I write this email to inform you that dad passed away a little while ago.

Ramindri
Sent from my iPhone

Date: Sun, Feb 1, 2015 at 5:36 PM

Dear Fr Marc ,
The legendary disciplinarian , Old Thomian , teacher and Cadet Master Mr G K Mandawela expired today .
STC must offer a fitting farewell at the highest level at College before the cremation.
Thank you +

Date: Sun, Feb 1, 2015 at 6:25 PM

It is with great sadness that I received the news of Mr. Madawala saying good bye after a great innings at STC. I remember him looking smarter than all of us put together. He was meticulous in his attire and he conducted his duties with pride and dignity. The total commitment and the steadfastness warranted in a great cadet or soldier, was definitely epitomised by him.
I was one of the first cadets when he joined college but I missed the Diyatalawa trip due to unavoidable circumstances and the fear of being ragged!
At first we thought that this fairly small made teacher, would be easy push over v
I remember with vivid recollection of the moment and very spot opposite the large common dining room, that he stopped the platoon and showed me the art of checking my step, to get back to the correct step while marching. I was putting my left foot when he said right while marching! A common unconscious mistake made especially by freshers. He never said. " correct your step man , put your other left leg" like some instructors did !!
Her was to me a great teacher who made students feel that there was a purpose in our efforts and in our contribution.
How wrong we were. He was no push over. He was tough when he needed to be.
May he attain Nibbana.
My deepest sympathies to family, friends, students and all cadets.

Sarath.
Sent from my iPhone

Date: Sun, Feb 1, 2015 at 7:55 PM

I am thoroughly saddened by this news. Kindly convey my deepest sympathies to the members of his family.
I was able to initiate help for him when he was let down by the Ceylinco debacle.
Please keep me informed of the funeral arrangements.
May he attain the supreme bliss of Nirvana.
Y S de Soyza

Date: Sun, Feb 1, 2015 at 10:00 PM

Dear college mates.
First may Mr Mandawela rest in peace.
Thanks to sriyan I met him @ Qi 69'ers and shared many a nostalgia.
Sriyan please update with funeral arrangements.

DD.

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

Date: Sun, Feb 1, 2015 at 7:09 PM

Dear Sriyan,
I was very sad to hear of the passing away of Mr Mandawala. I taught his youngest son when I was on the staff and came to know him during that time. I'm sure he will be missed by all those who passed through his hands at STC. Would you know how long he served the staff at STC?
If the family would like to bring his remains to the College before the funeral please let me know so I can check the possibility and revert asap. The two holidays this week mean that there will be very few boys if they do wish to bring the remains here but I could arrange for the Cadet Platoon and the Prefects at least to be in attendance.
Ill wait to hear from you as to the funeral plans and what the family would like.

Best regards,
Warden

Date: Mon, Feb 2, 2015 at 12:54 AM

Dear Father Marc,

Thanks very much for your mail.
I am forwarding your mail to Mr Mandawal's children for them to decide on the arrangements and will contact you direct in this regard.

Mr Mandawela was at College from June 1959 to August 1980.
Service to college for 21years 2 months.

Responsibilities and Positions held by him during 1959 to 1980.
1. Asst. Librarian, Chief Librarian, Asst Teacher 1959 to 1980
2. College Hostel Master 1960 to 1966.
3. Junior and Senior Cadet officer, holding the rank of
Lieutenant- Ceylon Volunteer Force 1960 to1970
4 .Master in charge of Physical Training 1960 to 1977
5. Master in charge of Sinhala Music & Drama Society 1962.
6. Master in charge of Government Food Drive 1962 & 1967.
7. Master in charge of The Miniature Rifle Club 1964 to 1972.
8. Master in charge of STC, OBA celebrations, PT Display. 1964 to 1977
9. Master in charge of The College Orphanage 1965 to 1980.
10. Master in charge of The Royal Thomian Cricket match
Boys Tent 1968 to 1980
11. Master in charge of The Royal Thomian Cricket match Souvenir
1968 to 1980
12. Elected to the Games Committee of the STC OBA 1968.
13. Business Manager & Distribution Manager of the College Magazine
1970 to 1980
14. Master in charge of College discipline at important College Functions
1970 to 1980.
15. Master in charge of The Arasu Thuraiappa All Round Shield. 1974 to 1980.
16. Asst House Master De Saram House 1972.
17. Master in charge of The Government Republic Day Celebrations 1972
18. At the request of College, Author of " Waikalpa Sinhala" A guide book of Sinhala Language and optional Sinhala for G C E O/L students.1974
19. President, STC Tutorial Staff Trade Union 1976 to 1980.
20. Committee member of the Upper School, PTA 1979.
21. Asst. Secretary, STC OBA 1979 &1980.
22. President, College Staff Club. 1977
23 Member of The Dehiwela-Mount Lavinia Municipal Council Library Advisory Committee appointed by the Mayor Maj. L V. Gooneratne in consultation with the Warden 1970.

Regards
Sriyan

Date: Mon, Feb 2, 2015 at 12:49 AM
Subject: Mr GKM - "Look into my eyes, if you don't I will look into your eyes!"

Dear Ramindri,

Such is life. We all have a date, a time and a place. That said what we will always have are our memories. When shared they can enrich and empower. Attached are some of our memories in NSW when we last met your dad, our teacher; the thoughts and smiles he brought on that day.

The attachment - our tribute - is more relevant today than it was yesterday.
Your dad was a legend and many are the generations of students he taught. In my case I belonged to a rather tiny group of students that he valiantly tried to teach. I must confess I failed every teaching arrow in his quiver of experience and knowledge! Be that as it may, I am happy to note that we did make our peace many years later. The lads who studied with me would remember the scenes we created during Sinhalese class at STC' like scenes from a Shakespearean play! The more I tried to learn the language the more confused I got. However, when I last met your dad - and thanks for arranging - at least we managed to lift the fog of confusion and enjoy a few good laughs.

We are sure that many Thomians in Colombo will visit to comfort and pay their respects. In this regard you and your family are not alone. Others abroad will stop to ponder and remember. One seldom ever forgets a teacher.
We wish your family the strength to deal with this moment as you lay your dad to rest. May his soul rest in peace.

kindly,

Milroy

Date: Mon, Feb 2, 2015 at 2:44 AM
Subject: Re: Fwd:

Sad to hear this news. My sympathies and condolences to you and other family members.
Farouki Majeed

Sent from my iPhone

From: Malkey Rent-A-Car: An ISO 9001:2008 Certified Company <info@malkey.lk>
Date: Mon, Feb 2, 2015 at 8:17 AM

Dear Sriyan,
Please convey our heartfelt condolences to Mr. Mandawala's Family.
Mr. Mandawala had taught me during the era 1959 to 1964.
Sincere Regards
Mahesh Mallawaratchie

Date: Mon, Feb 2, 2015 at 3:43 AM

I wish to express my heartfelt deepest sympathies on the passing away of Mr.Mandawela.May he experience eternal peace & bliss in the deathless state of liberation Nibbana.
Kind Regards,
TM(Thulangit Wijesuriya)

Date: Mon, Feb 2, 2015 at 7:36 AM

Dear All
Glanced through my treasured college File and found Our great masters certificate Hand written when i went for my first interview straight from copleston and spent a moment @ Wale Pansala next to college last evening praying for MR mandawelas Journey to sansare would be helped by all our thoughts. Once @ cadet-ting he told me you just cant march, just stick to your Ball games. i took his advice and happily moved on because he was a thoroughbred disciplinarian. and called a spade a spade.
Sir, May you Attain supreme Bliss of Nibbhana.
DD

Date: Mon, Feb 2, 2015 at 11:00 AM

Dear Ramindri.. I just got the news of Mr Mandawela's passing... My deepest sympathies to all the family.. He was an outstanding teacher and an even greater gentleman..
May he rest in peace
Shirley Wijesinha
Miami Fl USA

Date: Mon, Feb 2, 2015 at 12:29 PM

Hi Sriyan,
Just read the emails re Mr Mandawala and his passing away.
My deepest sympathies go out to all of his family.
Kindly let me know, the date relating to his funeral arrangements.
Thanks,
Sriantha. R.

Last edited by sriyanj; 23-02-15 at 12:36 PM.
Old 23-02-15, 12:37 PM
Charter Member

Default Mail from Ramindri, daughter of Mr.G.K. Mandawala

Date: Mon, Feb 9, 2015 at 9:08 AM
Subject: Re: You can make your decision....

Hi Sriyan,
When Mr. Mandawala joined college , we were not even thought of. A wonderful article written by him. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Very sad to miss him. He had created a big void in all the Thomians' lives. He was one of my favourite masters.
A couple of years ago, when I was in SL, I specially made a trip to College to see him. I was told that he had retired and was with the Lake House.
Though disappointed, I met some others around College like Podda and the Dining room staff whom I knew. There weren't any teachers whom I knew.
A couple of days later, I was having a Faluda at Bombay Sweet mart at Collpetty junction seated facing the road, when I saw Mr. Mandawala walking or should I say walking like a true military man.
It was a spontaneous reaction that I just shouted out "SIR". He immediately stopped and made an about turn, with his office bag in hand. The other customers were staring at me, but who cares..........
He recognized me even after 30 years, and joined me for a chat and Faluda. I will never forget my "Practical Sinhala" master , ever!
More than anything, he taught me discipline too. One day in class, just before he came in, all the boys were rioting around. No sooner, he walked in all ran to their seats. I was already seated but the boy next to me was not. He came to sit and (what a crude guy I was) I just pulled the chair back and down he went. Fortunately nothing serious happened to him, other than a stupid grin. Manda, as we called him amongst us, pulled me up and punished me in his style. He made me come to the grounds next to the swimming pool and dining room where the cadets were doing their routine marching. He called one of the senior cadets to check on me doing about 25 rounds of non stop running and exercise. I think the senior was Welikala.
About two or three years ago, I got a note from Milinda to say that Manda needed money for an eye operation , and that he has lost most of his savings in the Ceylinco Finance crash.
Well, the Thomians in Canada promptly dispatched a donation towards his cause.
There are so many interesting stories about Mr. Mandawala which I cherish in my memory. It is better spoken in our Old Thomians gathering than in writing.
Thank you Sriyan for the e-mail. I was also in your dad's Sinhala class where he taught me many Sinhala poems. "Goda mada dhekama sarusaraya" is one still stuck in my memory.
God Bless!
Kumar