S. Thomas' College Old Boys' Forum  

Go Back   S. Thomas' College Old Boys' Forum > Stories of Teachers

Old 06-12-13, 12:32 PM
Charter Member

Default Felicitation organized by the Hela Havula

I forward herewith an invitation for a Felicitation organized by the Hela Havula sent by Ms Samanthi Ahubudu daughter of our late beloved teacher Mr Arisen Ahubudu.

They are felicitating two of our old teachers Prof Vini Vitharana & Mr Sadadas Coperahewa.

Given below for your easy reference the links about Mr Coperahewa, as you know he was the master in charge of Art at college and was the teacher for Sinhala in the Coll Art forms.

http://www.tyretracks.com/showthread.php?t=896

http://www.tyretracks.com/showthread.php?t=39

http://www.tyretracks.com/showthread.php?t=1076

Prof Vini Vitharana was on the staff in the mid fifties and was the 2X1 Cricket coach and was responsible for introducing Volly Ball at STC.

Recently he was the recipient of several awards for his contributions to Arts and cultural work.

1. D Litt from the University of Sri Jayawardena Pura. for disciplines of Art.

2."Uruma Prasada" National Heritage Award from the Ministry.

3."Sahitiya Ratna Award" once in a lifetime award -Highest Award given by the Ministry of Cultural Affairs & Art.

4. All Ceylon Buddhist Congress- Malalasekera Award for his contribution in Sinhala and Buddhist cultural activities.

Only other surviving teacher in the photograph is Mr W. G. Sugathadasa.

If any one wishes to get in touch with them , their contact details are given below.

1 Mr Coperahewa, 53 Gramodaya Mw, Madiwela South, Kotte
Tel. 0112779471.

2. Prof Vini Vitharana, 67/1, Samudrasanna Road, Mt Lavinia.
Tel. 0112716652.

3. Mr. W.G. Sugathadasa, 238,Kalutara Rd, Wevita, Bandaragama.
Tel. 0382291315.

Best regards

Sriyan
on behalf of the Prefects Group.

Last edited by sriyanj; 07-12-13 at 05:04 PM.
Old 15-12-13, 01:01 AM
Charter Member

Default Felicitating two of our old teachers Prof Vini Vitharana & Mr Sadadas Coperahewa.

From: Lecamwasam, Deepal (Health) <Deepal.Lecamwasam@health.sa.gov.au>
Date: Mon, Dec 9, 2013 at 9:48 AM
Subject: Felicitating two of our old teachers Prof Vini Vitharana & Mr Sadadas Coperahewa.

My very best wishes for the felicitation of these two iconic masters to whom I for one, owe so much.They taught us SO much more than Sinhala,Buddhism and Art.To this day they are remembered for instilling in me a great pride in our heritage, culture, language and country.These two teachers will stand out like bright gems in my memory and I will be always be inspired by their teachings and example.I will remain grateful to their shining memory and their many years of dedicated service at S.Thomas’.
Dr.Deepal Lecamwasam

Prof. Vini Vitharana

I wanted to speak to you about Prof. Vini Vitharana. He would have been your teacher at college at some stage. He had tried to get his only grand son to college but failed. This child is his daughters son. Mother is a doctor at the cancer hospital, Maharagama. Prof's son is married to a foreigner and lives in Belgium.

As you know Prof Vini Vitharana, during his brief period on the college staff was mainly a Sinhala teacher, before that he was an English teacher at Richmond College. During this time he was a house master, coach of the 2nd X1 cricket team and was responsible for CT Edwards achievements, who went on to play for Ceylon as an opening batsman and was later the coach of the college cricket team. Our beloved teacher, was also in charge of the Music Society and it was his idea to get Mr GK Mandawela to recite the National Anthem at the College Prize giving as a student. He also introduced Volleyball to college and got the minor staff also interested in this sport, with the support of the authorities.Recently he was awarded a D Litt from the Sri Jayawardena Pura University which is the highest award given by an University. I give below the link, which gives details of a felicitation held in his honour last month.http://www.tyretracks.com/showthread.php?t=1144
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hh.jpg (20.6 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by sriyanj; 18-05-15 at 01:36 AM.