Charter Member

Default Warden,Canon R.S.De Saram

Old 17-09-09, 01:46 PM
Charter Member

Default Warden Canon R S De Saram.

Old 17-07-10, 07:50 PM
Charter Member

Default the Communal Riots of 1958

We are placing the following e-mail dated Feb.22.2010, from Merril Aluvihare with reference to Warden De Saram and the Communal Riots of 1958 as it would be of interest to most of the Old Boys of our vintage- LJ

My dear.....,

Thank you for the interesing CENTURION. Over the years various old boys have written articles about the role played by the warden during the communal riots of 1958 but everyone of these is not accurate. I thought I would put the record straight once and for all as I was residing with my late parents in our home 51 Hotel Road Mt.Lavinia where this incident actually took place. The previous day most of the tamil speaking people had moved out either to the Mt.Lavinia Police Station or to safer locations , except for the Kanagasabai family who bravely stood their ground at de Soysa Avenue Mt.Lavinia.. One Mr. Kanapathipillai an employee of Ceylon Theatres Jaffna had come to Mt.Lavinia the previous night and stayed over at his relations house at Abeywickrema Avenue namely one Mr.Moorthy. On this tragic morning he was walking down Abeywickrema Avenue when just outside our gate he encountered a hostile mob led by one Diamond Perera a carpenter from Dhakshinarama Road then known as Wattumulla Road. On seeing the mob he ran into our portico. The mob chased him and hurled abuse at me saying I was sheltering tamils. I ran next door jumping over the parapet wall to the house of the Mt.Lavinia A.S.P. the late Mr Allen Flamer Caldera father of Maxim but the telephone wires had been cut. On my return the mob had poured petrol on this victim and set him on fire. Just then the warden was passing by and he got down from his car and he and I put out the flames as best as we could. Some senior school boys too arrived and the warden sent for a stretcher from the collehe sickroom. Just Inspector Dudley Ludekens from the Mt.Lavinia Police arrived and he stopped a Socoman truck as Socomans were laying the water pipes at that time. The warden was not touched by anyone and he was never bleeding nor was his cassock torn. I was the only prosecution witness who identified Diamond Perera and for this we too had to flee our home and live in a rented house at Torrington Avenue for some time. I gave evidence in Magistrates Court and then in Assize Court and the accused was sentenced to death purely on my evidence. His sentence was commuted to life inprisonment and after about eleven years I spotted him after release at Mt.Lavinia junction and went up to him and asked if he remembered me he said he didnt I said I am the man who sent you to the gallows which you cheated he replied he couldnt remember me, a few months later he suffered a heart attack and died and even the house his family occupied caught fire. These are the absolute facts of this episode. Mr Monty Abeywardena was O.I.C. Dehiwala at this time and for the identification parade he made all arrangements providing a Police car for the Warden and my late father whilst Maxim and I had to go in the van. The Magistrate was Mr. Wimalaratna an old Thomian and the Commissioner of Assize was Mr Earl Wijeywardena and prosecution was by Mr Basil White crown counsel before a Jury. I withstood a gruelling cross examination which the judge commended me for to the Jury. At the identification parade the Warden my Father or Maxim could not identify anyone, although I had received several threats I identified the main accused Diamond Perera. I might have known some of the others too but I was so terrified that my mind may have gone blank to some extent. The late S.S.P Mr. Bennet Perera who was assasinated by the J.V.P was a young police officer who along with another Mr Jayasena handled the investigations.
Best Regards
Merril
Attached Images
File Type: jpg w4.jpg (47.5 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by sriyanj; 18-05-15 at 12:49 AM.
Old 05-05-11, 12:10 PM

Interesting articles, Sriyan. Do you have the originals?
Old 24-08-11, 10:26 AM
Charter Member

Default First Ceylonese and first old boy of the School to be installed Warden of S.T.C.

Dedicated to Church and S.Thomas’

H.E.R.A

(Ceylon Daily News 3-2-85)

On Sunday, there takes place in he Chapel of the Transfiguration at S. Thomas’ College, Mt. Lavinia, the most important item of the S.T.C. Old Boys’ association’s 99th Annual Celebrations. That is a Special Service of Thanksgiving for Cannon R.S.De Saram, former Warden. It marks the Diamond Jubilee of his ordination to the priesthood.

He dedicated his life to the service of the Church and the school.

He served as Chaplain, Sub-Warden and acting Warden and in 1932 was the first Ceylonese and first old boy of the School to be installed Warden of S.T.C.

It was in the beginning of a memorable Wardenship which lasted 26 years marked by hard work and total commitment to the welfare of the School. Barely 30 years old and the youngest of the line, the new Warden overcame the challenges of the economic depression, the multifarious problems resulting from World War two and the radical changes of policy in education.

Bearing a name honoured in the realm of public service, the learned professions and sport, Warden De Saram himself was a brilliant all-rounder, an inspiring example of mens Sana in corpore (sound mind in healthy body).

He received his grounding in classical scholarship under Warden Stone. His contemporaries at S.T.C. included Arthur (late Sir Arthur) Rannainha, H.A.J.Hulugalle, the brothers E.B. and E.g.Wikramanyake, L.J.de S.Seneviratne, S.W.R.D.Bandaranaike, L.W. de Silva, Noel Gratiaen and I.H.Wijesinghe, all of whom attained eminence in their chosen careers.

At Oxford University which he entered to read theology, De Saram played cricket for his College and boxed for the University. He excelled in soccer, tennis, fives and swimming as well.

A man of courage, compassion and chivalry he has saved persons from drowning and has hastened unarmed to the rescue of those threatened with death by thugs in time of riot. Warden De Saram, one of the leading educationalists of his time, placed greater values on discipline and character than on mere cleverness.

When De Saram Road, Mr.Lavinia, was declared open the late Mr.Simon Abeywickrame, Chairman of the Urban Council, said that the road was aptly names after Warden De Saram because like the Warden it also was “dead straight”.

On his installation as Warden, Canon De Saram said “My only wish this morning is that this school, which we all love so much which is our very precious possession, will go on from strength to strength”.

Now, 53 years after, and traversing his eighties, the veteran Warden will have the satisfaction of knowing that the old school to which he devoted his life is till flourishing and true its motto - Esto Perpetua.
Old 24-08-11, 05:36 PM
Charter Member

Default First Ceylonese and first old boy of the School to be installed Warden of S.T.C.

Warden de Saram in one of his last speeches to the school boys of the day, spoke some words that has a lasting impression :

‘Do your best in the classroom and in your games, but above all in the ways you conduct yourselves, and in the ideals you set before yourselves. There is much that is vulgar, cheap and tawdry, loud and raucous in contemporary ideals. You came to a school like this get a right judgement on these matters.’

Times may have changed from 1958 to today but the ideals are the same and the vision for education at S Thomas’ remains the same.

Date: Mon, Feb 15, 2016 at 1:53 PM
Subject: Re: FW: QUOTE ............ lest we forget

Thanks YS.Very apt message indeed particularly for generations of Thomians who succeeded us.
It goes without saying that there is no greater privilege in life than to have been a Thomian & during family gatherings I used to announce that if there was one thing for which I would remain ever indebted to my parents,it was the enormous sacrifice they must have made drawing Govt salaries,to send me to STC.I ensured my brothers were listening & I would then get a resounding cheer from my uncles despite none of them being Thomians.
Kari

from Mevan Pieris mevanpieris@gmail.com
date Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 2:24 PM
subject Re: : Canon R S De Saram

Dear Sriyan,
I remember the Canon very well. He interviewed me at the age of 6 years and admitted me to STC in 1954.He also taught me Latin in the upper 4 C class.
regards
Mevan

GY De Silva gydesilva@gmail.com

Dear Sir,

Mr. Nuwansiri Jayakuru, he taught us Sinhala/Maths & Science,told me his story.

He had been very bright and always 1st in class. When he passed his University Entrance he did not want to go to the Uni as his father who was the only bread winner for the family had passed away and thier were many siblings still going to school.

When Warden de Saram had heard about this, he had called up Mr Jayakuru and given a teaching appointment at STC, but job wise to attend the University. Cannon de Saram had even absorbed his sister also to the Lower School teaching staff mainly to help the family income. Even Mr Jayakuru's younger brother taught at STC.

Have a nice week end.

GY

On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 7:47 PM, Cecil Gooneratne <gunney01@btinternet.com> wrote:

GY, I had a call this morning from CJ (Dr C J Amarasuriya –Old Thomian: your vintage?). We were reminiscing about College days and he told me a heart-warming story! Warden de Saram was his Latin teacher, and after class, Warden told him “Amarasuriya, if your brothers are ½ as good as you, I will take them in to STC”. CJ passed this on to his Father. Many years later, while rummaging through his late father’s possessions he came across a letter his father had written to the Warden – in it he had said that he would like his other 3 sons to have the same education as CJ, but he couldn’t afford it as he was only a clerk, and even CJ’s educational expenses was being paid for by the grandfather. Warden de Saram, on receipt of this letter had given Scholarships to CJ’s 3 brothers throughout their career at STC. That was typical of Warden de Saram!

Cheers

Cibba

Date: Mon, Feb 15, 2016 at 8:00 PM
Subject: Re: FW: QUOTE ............ lest we forget

Dear Sriyan,

Thanks for keeping me informed of the great Canon. When I replied you 5 years ago I did not realise what I wrote would remain for posterity. If you like to know here are two more anecdotes of the great Canon de Saram.

I was still in the lower school playing cricket during the lunch interval using one of the four verandah ( the verandah served as a modest cricket pavilion ) pillars of the then tuck shop to serve as a set of wickets. Those were the days when each pillar served as a set of stumps and four different matches proceeded simultaneously in parallel. The tuck shop was located exactly where the current large pavilion stands. The canon lived in an upstair house owned by my uncle Dr PEP Deraniyagala which was located behind the pavilion and would emerge from a wicket gate on the boundary wall to trek the distance to Thalassa( office) across the big club. One day as he walked through the hive of young cricketers a mischievous guy who was shooting red ink with a mini water pistol accidentally sprayed it on the canon's naked ankle below the cassock. The canon was quick to heel around and spotting the culprit, squeaked, " next time make sure you hit the target ", and walked off.

After his retirement the Canon was watching an old boys cricket match seated on a cane chair, when PN Perera ( amiably known as veddah ) walked up to him bent in two saying, " Sir, can you remember me sir ". The canon lowered his spectacles on his prominent nose and squeaked " Of course I remember you. One can forget the roses but never the thorns ".

On another day the lady of the hostel had walked into the canon's room to make a complaint and all eyes of the office staff which included Lassie Abeywardene's were on her and eavesdroppers a plenty. " What have you come about " squeaked the Canon. " Sir, Churchill was looking at me and mas- - - bating for a very long time sir " replied the fair lady. " Oh ! why did you keep looking at him for such a long time ? you should have turned the other way " remarked the Canon, discharging the lady, promising to look into the matter ". Churchill was summoned forthwith and as he enetered the room with trembling feet, the Canon squeaked loudly in an angry tone " young man next time when you get such a feeling, remember there is a place for it and that is the toilet. Do you understand ? Now go off and do as I say ". ( This anecdote was related to me by Lassie Abeywardene who functioned then, as the bursar ).

Kind regards
Mevan Pieris

Last edited by sriyanj; 15-02-16 at 07:47 PM.
Old 18-05-15, 12:13 PM
Charter Member

Default In His prize Day speech in 1958 said ....

Sent by a Thomian. Wonder if anyone will have the guts to tell the truth like this in the current day and age.

Canon R. S. De Saram , Warden of S.Thomas' College . In His prize Day speech in 1958 said .... ( PM SWRD Bandaranaike was the Chief Guest )

" This is said to be the age of the common man . It May be so . But it is certainly also the age of the Demagogue (වාචාලයා ), the man with the loud voice
and fluent vocabulary and specious tongue who debases his gifts by devoting them to misrepresentation of facts , the stirring up of hatred , the vilifying of persons and causes to which he is opposed ; the man with much cleverness but little wisdom who is prepared to sacrifice the peace and prosperity of the country to the gaining of some petty personal or party triumph .
Our time has been described as a period of transition .
If it is not to be a period of breakdown we must bend our selves to put before our people values which are of permanent and abiding worth .
The persons of whom I speak want to
run the country on Slogans or what are vulgarly described as STUNTS . "
S W R D Bandaranaike knew that the Warden was speaking of him and was furious ;
But he did nothing . The era of political thuggery to silence a critic had yet to dawn .
Canon R. S. De Saram , Warden of S.Thomas' College . In His prize Day speech in 1958 said .... ( PM SWRD Bandaranaike was the Chief Guest ) " This is said to be the age of the common man . It May be so . But it is certainly also the age of the Demagogue (වාචාලයා ), the man with the loud voice and fluent vocabulary and specious tongue who debases his gifts by devoting them to misrepresentation of facts , the stirring up of hatred , the vilifying of persons and causes to which he is opposed ; the man with much cleverness but little wisdom who is prepared to sacrifice the peace and prosperity of the country to the gaining of some petty personal or party triumph . Our time has been described as a period of transition . If it is not to be a period of breakdown we must bend our selves to put before our people values which are of permanent and abiding worth . The persons of whom I speak want to run the country on Slogans or what are vulgarly described as STUNTS . " S W R D Bandaranaike knew that the Warden was speaking of him and was furious ; But he did nothing . The era of political thuggery to silence a critic had yet to dawn .
Old 29-10-16, 11:37 PM
Charter Member

Default Reginald Stewart de Saram

R. S. de Saram
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reginald Stewart de Saram
Born 1898
Ceylon
Died 1998 (aged 99–100)
Sri Lanka
Nationality British Ceylonese
Education S. Thomas' College, Mt Lavinia Keble College, Cuddlestone
Occupation Clergyman, Warden S Thomas College
Employer Keble College, College, S. Thomas' College, Mt Lavinia
Known for Services to education
Title Reverend Canon
Board member of National Education Commission

Reverend Canon Reginald Stewart de Saram MA (Oxon) OBE, Warden of S. Thomas’ College Mt Lavinia, was an educationist and clergyman known for services to education, as the co-founder of S Thomas College Gurutalawa and for services to Ceylon in the Languages Commission

[1]

Contents

1 Early life and family
2 Keble College Oxford
3 S. Thomas’ College
4 Services to church and government of Ceylon
5 Honours
6 Character and personal attributes
7 References

Early life and family

de Saram was born in 1898. He was educated at S. Thomas’ College, Mutwal between 1904 and 1917. He excelled[peacock term] not only academically but played in the Royal-Thomian cricket matches from 1915-1917 as an accurate off spinner,[2][3] captained the football team and won his colours in boxing. T. D. S. A. Dissanayake states that he had a natural flair for leadership and was a devout Christian showing an inclination towards priesthood while at school. [4] He was known by schoolboys by the nickname Kunji.[5]

de Saram married Edith née Clarke of Oxford at the Cathedral in Mutwal [6]
Keble College Oxford

de Saram attended Keble College, Oxford University, where he read classics. He earned a Blue in boxing. He studied theology at Ripon College Cuddesdon Theological College in Oxford in 1924 and was ordained a priest in 1925.,[7][8]
S. Thomas’ College

de Saram was appointed sub-warden of S. Thomas’ College Mt Lavinia in 1926, acting warden in 1930 and warden in 1932, serving till 1958. He was the first Ceylonese and first old boy of the school to become Warden of the college.

de Saram took over from Warden KC McPherson. He is also credited for having introduced both classical Sinhala and Hela Basa to S. Thomas’ College Mt Lavinia through recruitment of teachers such as Arisen Ahubudu, Sandadas Coperehewa, GL Jinadasa and D.S. Jayasekera. He introduced the use of the college crest in 1947, which is still in use.[9]
Services to church and government of Ceylon

During the second world war when the school was evacuated to Gurutalawa he also served as the first Ceylonese vicar of the Holy Trinity Church, Nuwara Eliya, in addition to his responsibilities as Warden.[10]

de Saram was appointed to the National Education Commission by D.S. Senanayake in 1949. He also served on the National Languages Commission.[11] In 1955 he was appointed to the Board of Residence and Discipline of the University of Ceylon, by the Vice Chancellor SirNicholas Attygalle.[12]
Honours

de Saram was awarded the OBE for his services to education in 1950.[13] The annual rugby match between Trinity College and S. Thomas’ College Mt Lavinia is played for the Canon R. S. de Saram Trophy, which was first awarded in 1978,[14] de Saram house in the college is named after him, as is a bursary. A bust unveiled in 2006 stands in the College office.[15] A felicitation volume honouring him was edited by Mervyn Cassie-Chetty.[16] The road running through S Thomas’ College was named de Saram Road in his honour.[17]
Character and personal attributes

de Saram had a reputation for being a strict disciplinarian and of a forthright nature.[who?] At the official function at which de Saram Road was dedicated and named, State Councillor / Parliamentary Secretary and Chairman of the Urban Council Simon Abeywickrama paid tribute to de Saram's integrity by stating that "the road, like the warden himself, was dead straight".[18]

He was known to have boycotted the languages commission in protest about a single language policy and criticised the serving prime minister S. W. R. D. Bandaranaike for his stance on the matter in his wardens speech when the prime minister, himself a distinguished alumnus was the chief guest at the prize giving in 1958 where words attributed to him in this speech are:

"this is said to be the age of the common man . It May be so . But it is certainly also the age of the Demagogue , the man with the loud voice and fluent vocabulary and specious tongue who debases his gifts by devoting them to misrepresentation of facts , the stirring up of hatred , the vilifying of persons and causes to which he is opposed the man with much cleverness but little wisdom who is prepared to sacrifice the peace and prosperity of the country to the gaining of some petty personal or party triumph . Our time has been described as a period of transition . If it is not to be a period of breakdown we must bend our selves to put before our people values which are of permanent and abiding worth. The persons of whom I speak want to run the country on Slogans or what are vulgarly described as stunts."[19]

He is reputed to have rescued a victim of a mob at considerable risk to himself in 1958.[20][21]
References

1"Sacred to the memory of Canon". www.island.lk. Retrieved 2014-04-10.
2"MY CRICKETING REMINISCENCES AT STC FROM 1916 - 1920 BY P.B. BULANKULAME". www.royalthomian.info. Retrieved 2014-04-10.
3articles with dead external links%5d%5d%5b%5bCategory:Articles with dead external links from February 2016%5d%5d[%5b%5bWikipedia:Link rot|dead link%5d%5d] "Wardens who have represented S Thomas in Premasara Epasinghe Daily News 7th March 2005 http://www.dailynews.lk/2005/03/07/spo10.htm" Check |url= value (help). archive.today. Retrieved 2014-04-10. External link in |title= (help)
4"Canon R. S. de Saram: A COLOSSUS IN OUR MIDST". stccentenarygroup.wordpress.com. Retrieved 2014-04-10.
5"To Sirs with love by Wimsy Sinnathamby The Newsletter 31.12.2006" (PDF). sstcoba.org. Retrieved 2014-04-10.
6"Warden de Saram of STC by T. W. Wikramanayake The Island". island.lk. 11 February 2006. Retrieved 2014-05-07.
7"Canon R. S. de Saram: A COLOSSUS IN OUR MIDST". stccentenarygroup.wordpress.com. Retrieved 2014-04-10.
8"Sacred to the memory of Canon". www.island.lk. Retrieved 2014-04-10.
9"The College Song, Flag, Crest, Motto And Colours". stcoba.org. Retrieved 2014-04-10.
10"150th Anniversary of Holy Trinity Church - Nuwara Eliya By Rene Aryaratne". www.island.lk. Retrieved 2014-04-10.
11Blowback: Linguistic Nationalism, Institutional Decay, and Ethnic Conflict in Sri Lanka By Neil DeVotta page 55. books.google.co.uk. Retrieved 2014-04-10.
12"Sacred to the memory of Canon". www.island.lk. Retrieved 2014-04-10.
13"CENTRAL CHANCERY OF THE ORDERS OF KNIGHTHOOD To be Ordinary Officers of the Civil Division of the said Most Excellent Order:—Reverend Reginald Stewart DE SARAM, Warden, St. Thomas' College, Mount Lavinia London Gazette Publication date:2 June 1950 Issue:38932Page:2818". www.thegazette.co.uk. Retrieved 2014-04-10.
14"A Brief Overview Of Thomian Rugby By Sharm de Alwis Sunday Leader Sunday, April 20, 2014". thesundayleader.lk. Retrieved 2014-04-10.
15"A Tribute to a great warden The Old Boy Newsletter 31.12.2006" (PDF). sstcoba.org. Retrieved 2014-04-10.
16"The Rev. Canon R.S. De Saram felicitation volumeFestschrift honoring the first Sinhalese warden of St. Thomas' College, Mt. Lavinia, 1932-1958. Mervyn St S Casie Chetty". openlibrary.org. Retrieved 2014-04-10.
17"The Mount Lavinia ~ Gurutalawa Thomian Nexus and the Big Match Newsletter old Boys association of STC Gurutalawa December 7, 2013 in Articles". stcgoba.com. Retrieved 2014-04-10.
18"The Mount Lavinia ~ Gurutalawa Thomian Nexus and the Big Match Newsletter old Boys association of STC Gurutalawa December 7, 2013 in Articles". stcgoba.com. Retrieved 2014-04-10.
19"S T C warden Canon R S De Saram about SWRD Bandaranaike". www.lankanewspapers.com. Retrieved 2014-04-10.
20"The Communal Riots of 1958". tyretracks.com. Retrieved 2014-04-10.
21"Canon R. S. de Saram: A COLOSSUS IN OUR MIDST". stccentenarygroup.wordpress.com. Retrieved 2014-04-10.