S. Thomas' College Old Boys' Forum  

Go Back   S. Thomas' College Old Boys' Forum > STC Projects

STC Projects New projects at STC

Old 25-04-11, 06:04 PM

Default Help me assemble a list of prominent Thomians

Greetings, fellow Thomians!

I am seeking help with a history project about College on which I am working. One aspect of STC I am particularly interested in is the influence our alma mater has exerted on society down the years through the endeavours and achievements of her prominent sons.

To illuminate and assess this influence, I am trying to compile a list, as complete as possible, of prominent Thomians down the years, going back as far as possible – as far, even, as the 1850s and the magnate and philanthropist Charles Henry de Soysa, who was an old Thomian. Some famous Thomian names, of course, are known to us all – D.S. Senanayake, S.W.R.D. Bandaranaike – but others are more obscure and some have even been forgotten. I want to rectify this erosion of history.

What I’m trying to do is collect as many names from as many eras and walks of life as possible – statesmen, administrators, tycoons, artists, writers, scientists, inventors, military heroes, religious dignitaries, popular entertainers and just about anyone else.

For this, I need your help. What I would like you to do is post, in this thread, the names of famous Thomians you know of, living and dead, together with a line or two about what exactly it is the man named is (or was) famous for. In most cases I should be able to take it from there.

I’m not very interested in Royal-Thomian cricketing heroes or sportsmen in general unless their achievements were of a truly exceptional nature at national or, preferably, international standard.

Please help me, if you will, by posting in this thread. I am also interested in making contact with others who are interested in the history of S. Thomas’.

Thanks in advance,

Richard Simon
Thomian 1966-1978

Last edited by Palmyrah; 25-04-11 at 06:05 PM. Reason: typos
Old 26-04-11, 09:47 PM

To give you an idea of the kind of thing I'm looking for:

Donovan Andre – entertainer and impresario. Donated the basketball court that stands at the top of Obeysekarawatte, just above the tennis courts at STC.

A.E. Buultjens – pioneer of Sinhalese education in Ceylon and first principal of Ananda College.

S.J. Chelvanayagam – Leading political figure, member of Ceylon National Congress and leader of the Federal Party.

Last edited by sriyanjay; 03-05-11 at 01:51 PM.
Old 03-05-11, 01:10 PM

Dear Sryan,

Thank you for the information you provided. I am not so appreciative of your editing my post, however. I would be very grateful if you would refrain from further editing unless what I post somehow contravenes the rules of the forum.

Thanks very kindly,

Richard Simon
Old 03-05-11, 01:14 PM

Default Important

The second post in this thread, containing examples of prominent old Thomians, has been extensively edited and added to by the forum Administrator.

The only names originally mentioned in my post were A.E. Buultjens and Donovan André. The other names have been added by the Administrator and do not necessarily represent the type or degree of prominence relevant to my project.

Tags
history, prominent thomians, s. thomas’ college