S. Thomas' College Old Boys' Forum  

Go Back   S. Thomas' College Old Boys' Forum > Obituaries

Obituaries Funeral notices and appreciations

Old 20-03-17, 08:57 AM
Charter Member

Default Eheliyagoda - nirmala rukmani (rukie)

To The Freshmen of '59

Dear Leo & Lakshman,

Please accept my deepest sympathies on this sad occasion.

Let us offer a silent prayer and tribute to this graceful lady born to maternal and paternal ancestral aristocracy.

May her soul rest in peace.

Kind regards

Sriyan
on behalf of the Freshmen of '59 Group.

EHELIYAGODA - NIRMALA RUKMANI (RUKIE). Safe in the Arms of Jesus - J.P. (All Island) entered into eternal rest. Beloved grand daughter of Sir Solomon and Lady Dias Bandaranaike, adored daughter of late Leo and Alex de Alwis, beloved wife of late Precival, precious sister of late Lankasa and late Joy de Alwis, and Shirlene and Rocky Jayawardena, sister-in-law of Irangani and late Anil Obesekera, much loved mother of Leo and Ramya Eheliyagoda, Shalimar and Kumar Sharma, Charmaine (AAL) and Lakshman Madurasinghe (AAL), Devika and Lankani Eheliyagoda, affectionate grandmother of Lakshan Madurasighe, Dr. Shanika and Migara Alwis, Sandesh and Sharika Sharma, and Rosanth Eheliyagoda, loving great-grandmother of Romaan Madurasinghe and Aashiana and Elisha Alwis. Cortege leaves residence ‘Chandralekha’, No. 21, Chandralekha Mawatha, off Cotta Road, Borella at 2.00 p.m. for service at All Saints’ Church, Hulftsdrop, Colombo 12 commencing at 3.30 p.m. Thereafter burial at the Anglican Section, General Cemetery, Borella at 5.30 p.m. on Wednesday, 22nd March 2017.

RUKMANI EHELIYAGODA : HER HOME WAS AN OPEN HOUSE

23 April, 2017

Sir Solomon Dias Bandaranaike’s granddaughter and Leo and Alex De Alwis’ daughter, Rukmani Eheliyagoda, fondly known as Rukie, saw the dawn of the day nine decades ago.
Her children eagerly awaited the celebration of her 91st birthday with her on 26 March 2017, when she received the call from her Maker on 19 March to step off the stage of life, and so she had to bid farewell to all of us as the curtain finally came down. She faced her death stoically, solemnly and serenely.
Even though she was born to an aristocratic family with the proverbial silver spoon in her mouth, she remained a simple, cheerful, graceful and dignified lady.
Many considered her an adorable angel who showered kindness and generosity on people and assisted them at every opportunity she got. She was a God-fearing person with an unshakable faith, whose zest and charm galvanized the prayer groups and the Christian circles she was connected with.
She was a prayer warrior who wrote down prayer requests received from others and prayed earnestly until they were resolved.
Rukie had an entourage of trustworthy friends from her old St Bridget’s days. She formed the ‘Action Group’ of old Bridgetines twenty five years ago and while undertaking charity work, they met every month to reminisce about their antics in the Convent boarding and outside. She also served as the Vice President of the SBC Past Pupils’ Association.
Being an intensely family person, she took great interest in her five children, four grandchildren and three great grandchildren with whom she was closely knit.
The Grand Matriarch of the Eheliyagoda family, was cherished and adored by the family and their spouses.
Royal-Thomian Big Match days were indeed days of fun when both the Royal and Thomian flags were hoisted at her home (she being a past Thomian girl and Percy a past Royalist) creating much noise, fun and frolic as family members cheered different schools. Just a few days before her departure, it was her final chance to wave the Thomian flag in high spirits singing Esto Perpetua.... normally reserved for youthful exuberance.
Her home down Chandraleka Mawatha, Borella, was an open house right through the year overflowing with warmth and hospitality. Christmas festive season and New Year celebrations were the highlights, being lively affairs.
A family tradition at New Year saw a table laden with seasonal treats with people visiting to wish her. She welcomed all with a smile that lit up the room. Many were the times when I sat with her to indulge in the festive favourites. This year it would be an empty table without her sparkling presence, reminding us of the idiom, that all good things must come to an end.
It is befitting to identify her with the virtuous woman extolled in Proverbs 31: where we could unhesitatingly echo that .... her children rise up and call her blessed... her values of openness and integrity blended with her wit, charm, sincerity and elegance, have indeed been an inspiration to many-both young and old-and all who knew her would deeply miss her as she departed to her heavenly abode, even while in her final moments, encouraging all to live life to the fullest and deeply trust God in all endeavours so that all may be well.
Hers was a life fully lived. Until we meet again.....

A family friend

Rukie Eheliyagoda

A mother greatly loved and cherished

I send this bouquet of words of love

To her heavenly abode above

Reached the milestone three score and thirty

Embraced life's hues gallantly

and cheerfully.

A Mother so gracious, never to find

So understanding, compassionate and kind

When troubled,

always found her by my side

Never to leave until my tears were dried.

The fabric of the family closely woven

Held firmly by a thread rare and golden

Teaching integrity, loyalty and generosity

Above all to love and fear God in humility.

A smile ever present; voice like a nightingale

A heart that quickly melted with each sad tale

Envy, hatred, vengeance found no place to dwell

In her soul, never to be claimed by hell.

“Anything worth doing is worth doing well and fast”

Her motto for life through the years past

Caressed by her love my days so happy and calm

an endless labour of love by a marvellous Mum.

God picked me out from the rest

and gifted me a Mother—

Better than the best

Charmaine Madurasinghe

Last edited by sriyanj; 23-05-17 at 01:25 AM.
Old 05-06-17, 11:14 AM
Charter Member

Default MEMORIAL THANKSGIVING SERVICEIn celebration of the life of Rukmani ( Rukie) Eheliyag

From: Prof.Lakshman Madurasinghe (Cambridge University Network) <Madure@cantab.net>
Date: Mon, Jun 5, 2017 at 7:15 AM
Subject: MEMORIAL THANKSGIVING SERVICEIn celebration of the life of

Rukmani ( Rukie) Eheliyagoda

will be held on Saturday 17th June 2017

at All Saints’ Church Hulftsdorp at 5 PM

Friends and Relations are cordially invited.

Family of Rukie Eheliyagoda

Mrs Rukie Eheliyagoda sharing with the gathering on Mothering Sunday-15 March 2015

https://www.facebook.com/Allsaintshulftsdorp/

This is to inform you that the Memorial Thanksgiving service fixed for Saturday 17th June 2017 at All Saints’ Church Hulftsdorp at 5 PM had to be indefinitely postponed due to unavoidable circumstances.
New date will be notified later.
Re great any inconvenience caused in this connection.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rukie Eheliyagoda.JPG (40.6 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by sriyanj; 07-09-17 at 08:10 PM.
Old 03-09-17, 08:28 PM
Charter Member

Default Memorial thanksgiving service

Subject: MEMORIAL THANKSGIVING SERVICE

In celebration of the life of

Rukmani ( Rukie) Eheliyagoda

will be held on Saturday 9th September 2017

at All Saints’ Church Hulftsdorp at 5 PM

Friends and Relations are cordially invited.

Family of Rukie Eheliyagoda

Lingering golden memories

RUKIE EHELIYAGODA

Six months remembrance
God looked down on His creation
Saw a life that was a godly celebration
Held out His hand and invited her in
The crown of life for her to win.

She brought me happy days, day after day
Though I willed it, she could not stay
My need for her will never abate
But heaven’s need was not for debate.

Broken I whispered, “God knows best”
As she entered God’s eternal rest
Leaving behind a powerful legacy
Following her footsteps won’t be easy.

When the setting sun paints the canvas of the sky
With sweeping colours that enchant the eye
Lingering golden memories in cascading poignancy
Embrace me leaving me lonely.

At her feet the valuable lessons learnt
Keep me happy, wiser and unhurt
“No path in life is easy and straight”
Those words of wisdom reverberate.

Until someday on that golden shore
Together again forever more
In God’s eternal home on high
Never again a need to say goodbye.

Forever my love
Charmaine Madurasinghe
Attached Images
File Type: jpg unnamed (5).jpg (64.8 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by sriyanj; 01-10-17 at 11:56 AM.